FC boys tennis weekly recap Feb. 22 – Feb. 26

20160223-fc-fc-boys-tennis-007
[/media-credit] Jaden Ventura, ’18, sets up to return a ball in hopes to set himself up and win the point.

The week of Feb. 22 -26 the varsity boys tennis team played in one league match-up. They faced Coalinga HS, Thurs. Feb. 25.

On Thursday the boys tennis team had their first game and their first league competition against Coalinga. The team still was missing some players due to personal conflicts and other sports continuations. However, the team was still excited to travel to Coalinga and hopefully take a win in the first game of the season.

Starting off the matches, Coalinga was down a player and therefore had to forfeit the third doubles game giving FC a 1-0 lead. The singles games went well with senior Andrew Moore taking his no. 1 singles game 8-6. Zach Passmore, ‘17, won his no. 2 singles game by forfeit due to an opponent injury however, Passmore was up 6-3 at the time. Jarrod Markarian, ‘17, won his no.3 singles game 8-5 and Julian Castro, ‘17, won his no. 4 singles game 8-4.

No. 5 singles player Nevan Gonzalez, ‘17, won his game 8-1 and no. 6 singles Will Liao won his game 8-2. At this point the Eagles were up up 7-0 over the Horned Toads but still had two doubles games to play. The no. 2 doubles game with Markarian and Castro finished first with the Eagles winning 8-2. With one more match to play and the closest one yet Moore and Passmore had to take the no. 1 doubles game to give the Eagles a perfect win. The game was tied at 5-5 and almost went into tie-breaker. However, with some strong backcourt play from Passmore, the Eagles took the game 7-5.

Gonzalez was happy with how the game went despite the sudden need for a player.

“For the first game we had to get someone who was inexperienced to play in one of our games,” Gonzales said. “We played very well winning 9-0 starting off the season pretty good”

At their away game in Coalinga, the Eagles won the match 9-0 against the Horned Toads. Next week the boys have another away game against Caruthers as well as the Central Cal Tennis Classic tournament on Friday and Saturday.

For more information on FC boys tennis, check out: Boy’s tennis schedule

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected]