Emmaline Krohn pushes personal boundaries on track

Senior pursues collegiate level athletics

ca5b6763-e734-4055-a32f-faaa760a12d8
[/media-credit] A veteran track player, Emmaline Krohn, ’16, began participating in track and field in third grade.

Dating back to the ancient Greeks, track and field is not only one of the oldest sports, but also one of the most diverse. With events from 100 meter sprints to pole vaulting, track offers many athletes a variety of competitive events to compete in.

A veteran track participant, Emmaline Krohn,  began participating in track and field in third grade. Participating in the events has helped Krohn push herself and to work hard.

“I have ran track since I was in third grade,” Krohn said. “I compete in the 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash and the 4 by 100 meter relay. I started running track in third grade when a coach saw me run and saw that I was fast and told my parents I should run track. Running track has made really made me push myself to  work hard in every aspect of my life and it also has helped me to be a good teammate and encourage the people around me to excel as well.”

One of the four sophomores participating in track, Cayla Rivas, ’18, plans to participate in the four by one, 100 and 200 meter dashes. Krohn helps Riva’s by encouraging her and showing her how to do new things.

“I’ve known Emmaline for five and a half years,” Rivas said. “I like that Emmaline is nice to everyone she meets. She helps me by telling me what I am doing wrong in a nice way. Emmaline is also encouraging and shows me how to do things when I don’t know how to do them.”

A multi sport athlete, Elijah Evans, ’19, plays football and track at FC. This track season, Evans plans to compete in the 400, 800 and the 200 meter events. As a teammate, Evans appreciates Krohn’s positive and uplifting attitude.

“This is my first year playing with Emmaline,” Evans said. “Emmaline is a nice person and she’s a go-getter type of person. I am hoping to share some memorable moments over the course of the track season with Emmaline.”

Running track has made really made me push myself to  work hard in every aspect of my life and it also has helped me to be a good teammate and encourage the people around me to excel as well. — Emmaline Krohn

Emmaline’s father, Jeffrey Krohn, has enjoyed watching her grow her athletic talents and sportsmanship. Jeffrey works at the Fig Garden Optometry  Jeffrey appreciates his daughter’s honesty and willingness to work hard.

[/media-credit] Senior Emmaline Krohn hopes to either run for Fresno City or walk onto the Fresno State track team next season. She plans to train in the upcoming summer in preparation for college track.

“Sports have given Emmaline a better understanding of the relationship between hard work and reaching goals,” Jeffrey said. “Running a 100m dash in 13 seconds doesn’t just happen.   She has realized that she has to work, think, receive advice, try new things and improvise in order to improve.  These same skills will go with her as she grows in her life as an adult.”

“Emmaline started playing sports with soccer on the Fresno Christian team,” Jeffrey said. “Chris Rosik was her coach and she played with many of the girls she goes to school with and will graduate with. The first time she placed first in a race was a big thrill.  It was fun to see her finish the race, look around and realize no one was in front of her.”
According to her father, Emmaline has improved her times as she has become a student of the sport, expecting that her focus will improve her technical ability.
“Her personal responsibility to study her sport and improve has really grown,” Jeffrey said. “She has grown in discipline and perseverance for working out and taking care of herself.  She has definitely become stronger in the past two years as well.  Emotionally she has always been “steady” and “cool” when she approaches competition; she likes to win like anyone but doesn’t show a lot of emotion on the track.  When I watch her line up now, she seems very mature as a runner.”
This season Emmaline hopes to achieve her personal best times in the events she runs in. Next year, she plans to continue participating in track while she attends college. She will either run for Fresno City or walk onto the Fresno State track team. Emmaline plans to train in the upcoming summer in preparation for college track.