Maddie Luginbill leads softball team with positivity, encouragement

03102016-fc-girls-softball-Maddie-Luginbill-009
[/media-credit] Luginbill, No. 16 (center) supports her teammates on and off the FC baseball field.

Softball began 129 years ago, during a Yale versus Harvard football game. Today according to Athletic Scholarships, an estimated 40 million Americans engage in at least one game of softball a year. Senior Maddie Luginbill is one many who plays the sport, yet has been encouraged by friends and family to pursue a greater leadership role on her team.

As an infielder, Luginbill plays shortstop and first base for the softball team. Luginbill hopes to hit a home run over the course of her last season playing on the FC softball team.

“I began playing softball in fourth grade,” Luginbill said. “This year I am playing shortstop and first base. At shortstop you get a a lot of hard line drives and you just need to be able to field the ball and make the out. I haven’t hit a home run yet, but I am hoping to hit one this year. I hit triple my sophomore year that was almost a home run, and that was really cool.”

Luginbill has been a sports fan and athlete since a young age, in large part due to her father and his support of athletics.

“My dad played college football at Fresno state, so he is super big on our family being athletic,” Luginbill said. “He has always encouraged me to take on whatever sports that I felt comfortable playing and softball was one of those sports.”

One of the three freshmen on the softball team, Angelica Escalera, ’19, plays right field for the team. During practices, Escalera learns a lot from Luginbill’s instruction and advice.

maddie
[/media-credit] Luginbill has always been involved in a number of sports, competing in soccer, softball and cheer throughout her senior year.

“Madelline is super competitive on the softball field,” Escalera said. “She teaches us in a way that we can learn from, rather than not learn because her attitude is so good. Madelline is really good at first base because of her abilities to throw and catch the softball.”

An experienced player, Julie Donis, ’17, has played softball for ten years. Of those ten years, Donis played two years with Luginbill. Donis appreciates Luginbill’s nice personality and willingness to help out fellow teammates.

“Maddie is really upbeat and funny, and I think she really represents our school well,” Donis said. “Maddie been improving every year. When I first met her she could barely throw to first base, but now it would be impossible for her to miss. She’s definitely the captain of the team and she’s a really respectable and a nice person. She really helps everyone on the team get better.”

An outfielder and infielder, Celeste Counts, ’18, plays a variety of positions for the softball team. Of the three years she has played softball, Counts has played two of those years with Luginbill. Counts enjoys watching Luginbill grow in her abilities as a softball player.

20160408-fc-maddie-001
[/media-credit] Luginbill’s coaches and teammates report that she is a positive player on the field and only progresses over the years.

“Maddie is very positive and she is always there to help us learn more about softball as we practice,” Counts said. “When I started playing with Maddie, she was very good, and as I have seen her grow in her abilities she has become amazing. Her presence on the field always has a positive effect on her fellow teammates. Maddie is a great hitter and consistently makes plays with few errors.”

The softball coach, Kent Donis coached two years with Luginbill. Kent also coaches a travel softball team. Kent appreciates Luginbill’s willingness to help instruct inexperienced players on the team.

“Over the two years I have coached Maddie, she has grown in confidence, her arm is stronger. She has better vision as a batter, and she has better contact with the softball,” Kent said. “This year she is a team captain. She is definitely a leader on field as far as camaraderie. She helps out the players that are younger than her understand the full scope of what this softball team is all about. Maddie is friendly to all and has definitely been a pleasure to coach.”

For more sports articles, please read World of Sports: Villanova wins national championship at buzzer.