Senior Reflection: Emily Ladd

Commentary: End of the year wrap-up

20160516-fc-emily-ladd-001
[/media-credit] Emily Ladd will be attending Clovis Community College in the fall.

“He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:29-31 (ESV).

Graduation is a big time in your life. It marks the end of a chapter and the start of a brand new one. Especially if you’re graduating from a school you’ve attended your whole life. Putting this reflection into words without getting a little cheesy has been difficult, since I have so much nostalgia and emotion tied to this campus. So expect a bit of campiness.

Fresno Christian is my other home. I’ve attended this school since Kindergarten, and since I’ve never moved houses before, it’s where I’ve spent a lot of my time. Not just regular school days, either. There’s been Back to School nights full of projects and square dancing. Sports practice (in elementary, at least). Field trips full of worship songs and laughter. Parties. Friends’ choir and drama performances. Drama rehearsals. Making movies, planning homecoming floats, you name it. FC really is my other home.

I’ve watched a lot of people come and go. Friends left school, or the city, or the state. My actual family attended for awhile, too before those cousins switched schools. After being here so long, it almost feels odd that I’m graduating. It really hasn’t sunken in yet. I’m that person who doesn’t really get emotional over something until it’s actually happening.  

There’s so many memories I keep thinking back on as that date gets closer. Worship chapels. Goofing off on the playgrounds. Planning class parties. Better yet, SWIM parties! Or all the fundraisers, or those days singing along to VeggieTales at the top of our lungs. Late night filming and editing for NOTS, posing together for pictures before formals, and always being there for each other.

The Feather is another big part of my life I’m leaving behind. When I joined as an anxious freshmen, terrified over the idea of making a phone call to get an interview, I never would have assumed I’d be blog editor by the end of this. I definitely would’ve run from the idea of doing podcast interviews. Walking up to a random stranger and asking if I can record them? Yikes! Tasks like that feel almost second nature now. The lessons that advisers Kori Friesen and Greg Stobbe and fellow staffers have taught me by pushing me out of my comfort zone are incredibly invaluable. They’ve helped me learn how to write factual and interesting stories. Most importantly, this team helped me battle some of my anxieties of trying new things and helped me learn how to function as a team.

[/media-credit] Emily Ladd, left, sells papers on Kid’s Day while filming the experience.

I really have no regrets at all for being on The Feather. It’s hard, yes. Of course it’s hard. But some of the most wild and wonderful memories I’ve had come from this staff and this class. I’m so thankful to have been blessed with such an amazing hardworking group. They’ve pulled late nights to keep the website running (especially on the NYC trip). We’ve had Christmas parties at Stobbe’s house to try and unwind before break. I’ve seen others (and myself) cry over articles suddenly deleting themselves and rewriting the whole thing. I’ve sung 80s hits with some of the staff and Stobbe at the top of our lungs, headed home in a minivan. I’ve watched half the staff tiredly board a plane, then a bus, then stumbling into cars and going home, with a smile to tell the waiting parents “We won”.

I honestly can’t express how thankful I am for the staff, and how blessed and thrilled I am that we’ve won a Pacemaker and Gold Crown this year. These people work so hard. Call them crazy (and we are, a little bit), but they really are amazing. I’m so thankful that God has blessed us all with the means we need to pull it all off.

I’m thankful for all my teachers as well. They’ve pushed me to do the best I can. They’ve helped me overcome obstacles I thought I couldn’t get across and shown me ways to use my talents. Above all, they’ve guided me in my walk with Christ and been an amazing example. I know that all probably sounds stereotypical and cheesy, but it’s true!

Honestly, I’m not sure how to say goodbye to this school after so many memories here. I’ve watched students on hoverboards wearing morphsuits. I once saw a student run into a room dressed as a leprechaun throwing chocolate gold coins to the others. I’ve seen students rally around each other to help each other in hard times.

I’m eager to move on and see what God has in store, but it feels wrong to tear away from this group I’ve been with for so long. There’s so many memories on this campus and with these people. Wherever we go, I hope we can all make many more.

I’ll be attending Clovis Community College, with plans to transfer to Biola University to major in Film Production, if that’s God’s will. Until then, I hope the underclassmen all have an amazing year! 

Soli Deo Gloria!

For another senior reflection read, Senior Reflection: Nicole Hudecek.