Senior reflection: Chloe Mueller

20160516-fc-chloe-002
[/media-credit] Senior Chloe Mueller shares the defining moments of her high school experience, along with her advice to younger students.

Commentary: End of year wrap-up

The time of year has come for students to reflect on their past and prepare for their future. While some students will be returning to the halls of high school next year, graduating seniors are gearing up for a major transition. As I clean out my locker and turn in my textbooks, I am subconsciously saying goodbye to the high school years, and beginning to bridge the gap between adolescence and adulthood.

At this point, every senior has posed in their cap and gown. We’ve all registered for our college courses, and we’re all eager to ditch the bell schedule. To say that I’m excited for the future is an understatement; I cannot wait to see what will unfold within the next several years. Yet, in the midst of this whirlwind of graduation and finals, it is important to reflect on the moments that carried us here.

When I joined the Fresno Christian community my sophomore year, I was a very different person than I am today. I attended my first convocation ceremony, completely uncertain of what lay ahead of me. I would never be able to predict the choices I would make, the friends I would meet or the things I would achieve over the next three years.

Now, only a week away from graduation, I can look back and evaluate my choices. Undoubtedly, the most profitable decision I made was joining journalism. I entered the class without any preconceived notions; I was unfamiliar with the Feather’s success and Stobbe’s notorious reign.

Quickly, I cultivated a passion for journalism. It was a method in which I could merge writing, research and my own interests. It gave me a connection to Fresno Christian and helped me get acclimated with the campus.

The Feather has certainly equipped me with new skill sets that I could not have acquired from a regular classroom environment. When I was first sent out to interview random students, I seriously considered dropping the class. However, after my time with the Feather I feel comfortable speaking to crowds and gathering quotes from nearly anyone.

“I have created so many beautiful memories though out my high school years. Already, as I look back, I have hundreds of moments that I will cherish forever. In the moment, I did not always appreciate high school for what it was. Perhaps it is not the “best years of your life,” as everyone promises; but it is definitely a defining time period. And, whether you realize it or not, you will look back at high school and appreciate the simple memories you made.” — Chloe Mueller

Recently I read that, when near to death, people often wish they had taken more risks and followed their passions. For me, becoming an Editor for the Feather was both. While writing and reporting is certainly not for everyone, everyone does have a passion. Perhaps you haven’t found yours yet. I would genuinely encourage everyone, regardless of age, to search for that one thing that makes them tick. I feel that finding the thing you love most is essential to living a rewarding life.

I have created so many beautiful memories through out my high school years. Already, as I look back, I have hundreds of moments that I will cherish forever. In the moment, I did not always appreciate high school for what it was. Perhaps it is not the “best years of your life,” as everyone promises; but it is definitely a defining time period. And, whether you realize it or not, you will look back at high school and appreciate the simple memories you made.

20160516-fc-chloe-003
[/media-credit] Mueller will be attending Northwestern University in the fall. There, she is enrolled in the Medill School of Journalism.

So, take your risks while you can. Find what it is that you love to do. Get involved in something that will change your world. Make every memory memorable. Treat your friends well, because one day you won’t have their company everyday. Have fun, but remain efficient. During high school, you are carving out your future. Pave an exquisite life for yourself. And most importantly, do not wait until you graduate to do the things you want to do. Do not get caught living within the boundaries of subpar days, you’ll go on to regret it.

Finally, I would like to thank Greg Stobbe and the rest of the journalism team for helping me realize who I want to be. Without Stobbe, I would not have the confidence to do a lot of the things that I have done over the past several years. The guidance and mentorship that he has shared with me is invaluable, and I owe him a thousand “thank-you’s.”

I look forward to watching the Feather flourish over the next several years. I have the utmost of faith and pride in next year’s staff, and cannot wait to see what the team accomplishes.

Chloe Mueller will be attending Northwestern University in the fall. She is enrolled in the Medill School of Journalism, where she hopes to explore digital and broadcast reporting.

For another senior reflection read, End of the year reflections, Kylie Bell.