Annual Greek Fest draws visitors to a cultural window

20160827-greek-fest-003
[/media-credit] Loukoumades, a greek dessert, is fried dough balls drizzled with honey and nuts.

Volunteers and local church organize cultural gathering

For the weekend of Aug. 26-28, people of Fresno had the opportunity to be “Greek for the weekend” with the annual Greek Fest that took place at St. George Greek Orthodox Church. This event marks a celebration of cultures with ethnic foods, dancing and performances. By the end of the night there was no doubt that any visitor would leave without saying the Greek term “Opa!”.

A full weekend of cultural dishes, live music, family entertainment, cooking demonstrations and tours through the church drew large crowds for this daily get together. This family friendly event continues to stir up excitement and attendees each year. Marking its 56th year, this fest brought in around 25,000 visitors.

From the overflowing parking lots surrounding the celebration, an intriguing beat performed by popular Greek band, The Olympians, reverberated through the air. Strands of twinkly lights swung above the countless tables of chatting visitors with plates full of food. Refreshing water misters brought a cooling chill to warm evenings at the church.

First time attendee, Manichanh Vang, decided to check out the Greek Fest after never attending it before.

“This is actually my first time,” Vang said. “I have never heard of it but I got offered tickets. I bought some calamari and a gyro sandwich because I have never tried it before. This is a fun activity for families and I would definitely come next year.”

Surrounding the church, lie a variety of booths showcasing cultural clothes, crafts as well as popular foods. Billowing white tents hanging with lights hung above circles of dancers in front of the stage.

Visitor Emily Campbell returns to Fresno’s Greek Fest due to a memorable and fun experience she had years prior.

20160827-greek-fest-005
[/media-credit] Overhanging the grounds, twinkly lights scatter themselves among booths and the stage.

“I came here because I won free tickets online,” Campbell said. “I also came two years ago and I just really like it, the food is awesome and the people are great. I am really looking forward to buying some pastries later too.”

Wafts of barbecued lamb and meat drifted through the air, drawing in many to the overflowing food lines. Famous dishes like Spanakopita, Lamb Shank, Dolmades, Horiatiki Salata and Moussaka were served. Many of these hand made dishes featured feta cheese, tomatoes, and olive oil. Most of these food options did not reach over the price of six dollars.

With an entrance fee of six dollars for adults over twelve, this event was very affordable to anyone. After a weekend of tasty foods and entertainment the Greek Fest has come to an end leaving guests satisfied and eager for next year’s 57th celebration.

For more features check out, Promo: Football team begins season with road game.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @jennypenny8835 and via Email: Jennifer King.