Clovis Farmers Market provides family entertainment, produce

Fresh harvest draws crowds for eventful evening

20160816-farmers-market-001
[/media-credit] Vendors show off their best produce at the Clovis Farmers Market.

The Central Valley is known for it’s farmland and fertile soil. Because of this, farmers markets have become a favorite gathering place for residents and valley visitors alike. They give the everyday farmer a chance to sell their goods and the visitor a chance to purchase fresh produce for their family.

Also for those looking for a way to enjoy the start of their weekend, the farmers market in Old Town Clovis provides musical entertainment and activities for children. Some of these include pony rides, face painting, and demonstrations by the San Joaquin Valley Antique Flywheelers.

Kirsty Wimbish, Event coordinator for Old Town Clovis, shared the charms of the market, and reasons to visit. From the activities to the fresh food and pleasant atmosphere, she believes there is something for everyone.

“Honestly, my favorite part is just looking out at the people who come to the market, and seeing the smiles on their faces,” Wimbish said. “I know that’s kind of cheesy, but it makes people happy to be here and I love that we’re providing a service like that where families can come and they can dance and get their fruits and veggies and the kids can have fun stuff to do, so I just love that we’re providing a place where people are happy to be.”

The laughter of children rang clearly through the market Friday night. Vendors sold their own homegrown goods and offered samples to those who walked past. Fruits such as grapes and strawberries could be found, but more exotic types of produce also presented themselves, like pluots and berries of all sorts. 

Many other activities occurred within the market, including what the San Joaquin Valley Antique Flywheelers had to offer. One of their more popular attractions was a grinder for shucking corn. This organization’s purpose, according to one member at the market, is to educate people of the innovating equipment. This organization has attended the market for about 12 to 15 years.

img_5658
[/media-credit] Volunteers dress up as Disney princesses as a form of entertainment for children.

The two Flywheelers had many machines working behind them that drew those walking by. Many of these were engines taken from larger machines, while others could be manpowered. From these presentations, people learned how to prepare food such as corn.

Justin Brandt from Top of the Hill Produce shared some information on the market and the products his company offers. His business has attended the Old Town Clovis Farmer’s Market for around 33 years, with jellies, jams, and fruits as their main merchandise.

“There’s definitely a lot of different types of people here and they enjoy a lot of our types of homemade products,” Brandt said. “It’s all homemade, fresh made just like grandma used to make it, with all natural ingredients, real cane sugar and all natural fruit.”

Each booth contained it’s own unique charm. Whether it was the products, sellers, or the excitement of the people, the entire night seemed to revolve around the farmer’s market. With the market soon closing at the end of September, memories will last for those who attended.

There is also a Saturday morning market in Old Town with many of the same vendors that runs all year from 8-11:30 am.

Clovis farmers market from The Feather Online on Vimeo.

This Author can be reached via email: Elizabeth Baker and via twitter:@_Elizabethann16.

For more features read, New home-ec teacher offers fresh skills, techniques.