FC football sport short: Laton

20160920-laton-football-short-002
[/media-credit] During halftime, the Laton High School cheerleaders presented the FC sideline with a poster dedicated to Coach Malama.

Eagles win first 11 man game in four years

The Eagles once again entered into 11 man competition, this time against Laton High School. This was FC’s second 11 man game in four years and the Eagles were determined to get the win. Before the game, Laton included Coach Toamalama Scanlan, the injured coach for the Eagles, in the pre-game prayer.

The game was a close and intense one. At the start of the game, neither team could overcome the other and both seemed equally matched. Each team had positive drives but neither could put it in the endzone. However, Laton struck first on a deep pass scoring the first touchdown of the game, but after a blocked PAT, the score was 6-0 in favor of the Mustangs.

The second quarter was just as riveting. FC had determination to put some points on the board and after a quick drive down field, Tyler Villines, ‘18, found Julian Castro, ‘17, for the first Eagle touchdown.  The Eagles failed a two-point conversion to keep the game level at 6-6. At halftime Laton again honored the Eagles injured coach by presenting a sign full of signatures dedicated to Scanlan’s recovery.

The Eagles were not done yet. With a desire to win the first 11 man game in four years, they did not stop until the final whistle blew. In the third quarter, Tyler Vanderlinden, ‘17, caught one deep from Villines to score the Eagles second touchdown. FC converted their two point try to take the lead 14-6.

The fourth quarter provided the most action and passion in the entire game. The Eagles scored another touchdown by way of pass from Villines to Vanderlinden to increase their lead 20-6. With the end of the game approaching, the Eagles tried to run the ball to wind down the clock, but Laton did not back off. After scooping up a fumble, Laton returned the ball back for a touchdown. The score was 20-14 in favor of the Eagles with little time left. The Eagles ran the ball up the field and ended up expiring the time to take the win over the Mustangs.

20160920-laton-football-short-003
[/media-credit] The Eagles won their first 11 man game in four years, Sept. 16.

With this win, came FC’s first 11 man game victory in four years. The Eagles have one more 11 man game this year which will be against Stoneridge Christian.

Senior, Dawson Triplitt, is happy with the first 11 man game win. He feels that this team is the start of something new.

“It was awesome to come out on top.,” Triplitt said. “Especially since we lost the 1st one by the same score. It feels good to be the start of something new at Fresno Christian.”

Nick LeBlanc, ‘17, knew it was going to be a tough game. He felt that the coaches prepared them well for the game. 

“We knew it was going to be a tough game,” Leblanc said. “So the coaches really pushed us knowing that it would pay off Friday night. All season long we’ve been told to trust the process. We just have to keep pushing ourselves and improving our game.”

The Eagles will play their next game against Stuart Hall, Sept. 23.

For Last weeks sport short, check out: FC football sport short: Anzar

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email Julian Castro.