FC Football sport short: Stuart Hall

20160923-stuart-hall-sport-short-001
[/media-credit] The Eagles defeated Stuart Hall, 46-32, improving the team’s overall record to, 4-1, Sept. 23.

As the generator-powered lights flickered on and the stands filled up, the FC football team was prepared to take the field. The Eagles took on the Stuart Hall Knights from San Fransisco at Eagle Stadium for their third home game of the year, Sept. 23.

The Eagles kicked off the scoring, quickly finding a hole in the Knights defense as Tyler Villines, ’18, completed a 51 yard pass to Julian Castro, ’17, for a touchdown. The Eagles went for a two-point conversion and failed which eventually came back to hurt them. The Knights came down the field, also completing a pass for a touchdown and capitalizing on a two-point conversion. At the end of the first quarter, the Knights lead the Eagles, 8-6.

Late in the second quarter the score was 16-14 in advantage of the Knights. On a 4th and 25 play the Eagles coaching staff made an unlikely call for a hook and ladder. The pass from Villines was completed to Nick Leblanc, ’17, and as he was hit he lateraled the ball back to Roman Endicott, ’18, who ran it in for the score. The Eagles went into halftime with the lead, 20-16.

Just minutes into the third quarter, the Knights fumbled the ball and Daniel Ayres, ’17, returned it back to the end zone. As the game went on, the lead went back in forth from the two teams. Late in the fourth quarter the Knights were trailing the Eagles 40-32. They were driving down the field and ready to score again. Tyler Vanderlinden, ’17, came up huge for the Eagles as he intercepted the ball and returned it 65 yards back for the game clinching touchdown. FC eventually won the game, 46-32.

20160923-stuart-hall-sport-short-004
[/media-credit] Daniel Ayres, ’17, recovered a Stuart Hall fumble and returned it 40 yards for a touchdown.

Along with delivering the final blow to the Knights, Vanderlinden also finished the game with 52 receiving yards, 1 offensive touchdown, 2 interceptions. He thought the team played exceptional and stuck the playbook. Vanderlinden wants the team to now shift their focus to next week.

“All I could think about when I intercepted the ball was returning it for a touchdown and sealing the game,” Vanderlinden said. “I feel like we played very good and stuck to the playbook to get points on the board. Our defense was also playing really well. This was a great team win for us and I can’t wait to use it as fuel for next week when we play Trinity.”

With the win over Stuart Hall the Eagles improved to 4-1 on the season. They will play their next game against Trinity Christian in Monterey, California.

This writer can be reached via twitter: @Phillip11499 and via email: Phillip Christopher.