Page Turners: Series of Unfortunate Events Book 1

3 Things

Quick read.

An interesting beginning to a multiple-book series.

Netflix Original Series set to come out in 2017.

The Bad Beginning, book one of the thirteen book series, A Series of Unfortunate Events, sets a tone for the rest of the series as dreary and dark. Similar to what the back of the books describes, the events happen to be “extremely unpleasant” for the main characters, the three Baudelaires, who face a severe

[media-credit name=”popsugar.com” link=”http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Casting-Ideas-Netflix-Series-Unfortunate-Events-36065278#photo-36065278″ align=”alignright” width=”300″]20161012-bookblog-003[/media-credit]

challenge after a tragic event befalls them. The children learn to adapt to their new environment with Count Olaf and their lives take a turn for the worst.

Both the characters and the setting the story took place in were reminiscent of childhood fairytales. Each one of the children carried a different pastime that made them relatable to the audience, giving them more depth than a simple plot device. The adults seemed to be described from a child’s perspective, whether that be personality-wise or physically. Some drawings by Brett Helquist provided whimsy for the reader and gave a more visual aspect to landscapes described.

The children set up a standard for young readers to learn to be empowered and speak their minds. Though they go through troubles of their own, they find that their old interests can still help them and cause them to feel hopeful in the most hopeless of times. The children also learn that it is okay to stand up for what they believe in, another good element in the book that can be found throughout the story.

The author Daniel Handler, or, Lemony Snicket as is written on the covers, seemed to be making an attempt at something few authors for this genre have accomplished. The goal: an unhappy ending for the protagonists. Not only is this a difficult task a handful of authors, including Roald Dahl and Lewis Carroll, achieved, but it gives a feeling of discomfort to a reader. Personally, a dark storyline doesn’t turn me away from a book, but this novel didn’t sit right. The enjoyment from reading a book was not easily

[media-credit name=”Google images ” align=”alignleft” width=”300″]20161012-bookblog-001[/media-credit]

found, which disappointed me, as I heard many good things about this series before beginning it. The book, despite its short length, did not capture my attention in a way that I hoped.

Overall, the book seemed a bit bland compared to others I have read more recently, and I do not believe I will be continuing the series at this time. I look forward to the Netflix series and hope that it creates a renewed interest in the rest of the series and the characters. I do appreciate all of the friends who recommended me this series and am glad I tried it out.

The novel can be purchased online here.

This author can be reached on Twitter at @julz_lozano

For my last book review, read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children