Girls basketball prepares for league by weight and pre-season training

Team sets goals, looks forward to success

20160107-fc-girls-basketball-011
[/media-credit] While practice begins this month, the first league game is on Jan. 13.

For the third straight year, girls basketball will take to the court to represent the Eagles. The team looks optimistic heading into their season and hopes to build off of their previous years.

Although the season is only just beginning, many of the girls have already put in hours of hard work and practice. During the summer months, the Lady Eagles participated in a summer league to help prepare them for this season. The girls played at Fresno State and at other locations against various teams that they will likely face this year.

For some, this marks the first season they will compete on a high school level. Alina Davila, ‘19, played basketball when she was younger, and now return for her first year at FC.

“My classmates told me that basketball was a fun sport to do, so I thought I might as well join,” Davila said. “This year I am most looking forward to getting to know the girls and making more friends on the team. I used to play up until sixth grade and then I stopped, so now I am starting up again four years later.”

This year the young team looks to continue to build towards their goal of winning more games. Despite going to playoffs last year, the Lady Eagles were knocked out in the first game against Caruthers.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/291935667″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

One of last year’s team captains, Erin Wilson, ‘18, is excited to make new memories and improve together as a team.

“I am most looking forward to going back and playing all the teams we played last year to see how we have improved,” Wilson said. “Last year we didn’t win that many games but I think that this year we can probably do a lot better. I think it (summer league) will help us because the games aren’t as intense it will just help us to really learn our plays and know how to execute them.”

20160107-fc-girls-basketball-005
[/media-credit] The girls prepared for the season by weight training and pre-season games.

The girls get even more practice this winter by competing in non-league games. While practice begins this month, the first league game is on Jan. 13. Robert Foshee will return again this year as the head coach for the girls varsity team. Foshee also has put in hours of work to ensure that the girls do the best they possibly can this season.

Interested in joining the team? Talk to Foshee in room 608 or visit the athletic department in building five. 

This author can be reached via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

For more features read, Boys soccer enters season with high hopes, expectations.