World War II veteran perseveres through injuries, overcomes battles

Jonas Hofer shares testimony, triumphs in God

20161108-vet-chapel-012
[/media-credit] Students show their support by shaking hands and hugging Hofer after he talked to the student body.

For another chapel gathering on Tuesday morning, Fresno Christian welcomes an incredible 92 year old Navy veteran with a story like none other. Before a national holiday, Veterans Day, students and faculty share in the hearing of personal stories from one of the veterans that fought in World War IIJonas Hofer.

As one of the first veterans to go on the inaugural Central Valley Honor Flight in October 2013, Hofer shares a Christian testimony that is powerful.

Companion to Hofer, Paul Loeffler, is the host and producer of the radio show Hometown Heroes. From 2007 till now, the show has featured many veterans that have fought in World War II, Vietnam and more. Seeing the many trials that Hofer has overcome, Loeffler invited Hofer to share his testimony to students so that they could get a human perspective of those who endured incredibly difficult circumstances of war.

Jonas was one of the veterans on our very first Honor Flight in October 2013,” Loeffler said. “His story his truly incredible, and his Christian testimony very powerful. At 92, his enthusiasm for life and love for God are as strong as ever, and I know he’ll leave a lasting impression on the Fresno Christian students.”

From the little town of Yale in South Dakota, Hofer grew up with eight other siblings and his mother. Early in his childhood his father had passed away. As a teenager, Hofer recalls spending his leisure time hunting gophers with his siblings. For every gopher brought in two dollars was offered.

At the age of eight, his family packed up their bags and moved to Dinuba in California, where some relatives and cousins lived. At that time, his mother had not received any federal assistance in raising the family so Hofer and his siblings took up daily jobs at near by farms and orchards.

While working on neighborhood farms, Hofer also performed as a competitive high school athlete. Hofer enjoyed competing in track, especially in pole vaulting. At one time, Hofer held 1st place in Delano by reaching the height of 11 feet six inches. But it was not until he reached the age of 15 where his life would turn upside down.

Walking down the steps of a school bus, Hofer’s friends invited him for a ride to the mountains. Skipping school with his friends, Hofer decided to tag along in this endeavor. On this curvy road through the mountains he noticed that the driver wasn’t paying much attention to the road. By a careless watch of the road, the driver lead the vehicle with Hofer and his friends, sailing into a nearby canyon.

1546068_607975755906131_820173939_n
[/media-credit] Above is a photograph of the USS Houston as it was struck by a torpedo.

It was not until six days later that Hofer awoke from unconsciousness in the Reedley Hospital, with the news that the driver was instantly killed in the crash. Not only was he given this unfortunate news about his friend but also given the news that he had broke his back, just shy of breaking his spinal cord. With this he lost all feeling below his waist.

For about a year, with constant prayer, assistance and guidance from friends, pastors and his siblings, Hofer was able to make a smooth and miraculous recovery. With the construction of gymnastic bars all around the house by his brother, Hofer used these bars to maneuver throughout the house.

For six months of using only his shoulders and arms, Hofer was able to bring strength to his upper body, straightening his back. After about six months, Hofer was able to receive feeling in his toes. Soon after, he was able to move to crutches and not long be able to walk again.

It was during this time that his local pastor came to him and confronted him about his decisions and choice of friends. With prayer, Hofer made the decision to fully start living for Jesus.

By the time he finished high school and entering college, the navy was looking for men to accept for service. With a background of flight lessons, Hofer was interested in applying. Once passing the physical test with flying colors, even despite not too long ago being paralyzed, Hofer was able to begin.

With his interest in flying, he was hesitant at first to tell his mother because she was concerned about letting him go, but with some time she was able to sign him off at the age of 17. After a few years of training and cadet school, he sailed aboard the USS Houston. There were actually a few boats titled USS Houston, but Hofer was on the second ship. His ship was named after the first one that was struck down by torpedoes.

1526257_604348982935475_1464852112_n
[/media-credit] At the age of 17, Jonas Hofer joined the Navy.

Hofer was on the navigation crew for the boat. His partners and him would trade off one hour out of four to steer the boat. Once a week a friend and him led bible studies with the men in the lounge. At first, many were hesitant and turned down this offer.

One day during his shift, to his surprise there were Japanese planes that were targeting a few boats, one of them the USS Houston. With one lucky shot, the Japanese landed a torpedo on the ship. Only parts of the boat under water, so Hofer was able to stay on the boat a little longer before it sunk.

Hofer can not recall how he ended up in the water, but he and his buddies floated for a straight 14 hours before being rescued. After 36 hours of no food or water, they were rescued by a nearby ship. Sapped of all his strength and unable to pull himself aboard, he was carried by sailors. Heads bowed and hands clasped, the men prayed, praised and thanked God for their lives. Even those who weren’t of faith bowed in prayer during their ordeal.

During chapel on Nov. 8, Hofer shared many stories in which God was the Savior in his life. Through hardships of war and the massive injury he had when he was 15, he never parted from the protection of God. With a few emotional tears here and there, it was clear that Hofer shared the light of Jesus.

For sophomore Macie Thompson, ’19, she was interested in the personal stories that Hofer had to share during the time that he served in the Navy.

“What touched me the most was how he was paralyzed,” Thompson said. “He was told by his doctor that he was never going to be able to walk again but he strived and gained the strength to walk again even though he thought that he couldn’t.”

Senior Zachary Passmore, ’17, found Hofer’s testimony inspiring from the way that he was able to recover from a tough injury as a 15 year old and also the way he stayed true to his beliefs even in the war.

“I think it was neat that he was able to still lead Bible studies with his buddies even on the boat while serving in the Navy,” Passmore said. “He didn’t let the criticism of others keep him from what he believed in.”

In 2013, Hofer was one of the first veterans to visit the memorial in Washington, D.C. The Central Valley Honor Flight provided recognition for the sacrifices that many veterans made for the freedom of America. 

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/292150978″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

“The trip to Washington, D.C.–I will never forget,” Hofer said. “For three wonderful days, 69 veterans each had a guide that took care of them. Everybody treated us well and we were thankful. I never felt like a hero until now. I couldn’t get over the wall with all the names and just how many guys that paid the price for our freedom. Its no small thing, it was so impressive you didn’t want to leave.”

For much of his life, it was evident that Jonas was protected in the hands of Jesus. Through trials and hardships as a teenager, these situations brought him to the feet of Jesus. His selfless and driven love for the Lord led him to lead bravely even on the front lines of war. With Bible studies and prayer, what seemed as impossible was made possible with the help of his family, friends and most importantly his Savior.

Even though these stories are from a past time, they represent a time of miracles and triumph. Whether it was on the USS Houston or in the waters of the Philippines, Hofer gave a relentless praise that can be applied even into our own lives.

World War II veteran visits morning chapel to share testimony.

[rev_slider alias=”jonashofer”]

This author can be reached via email: Jennifer King.

For more top five articles read, Terry Richards impacts FC community through mentorship or check out Iconic voice of Yakky Doodle speaks to FC student body.