FC football sport short: Alpaugh

20161026-football-014
[/media-credit] Senior Slater Wade scored four rushing touchdowns for the Eagles.

The Eagles traveled to Alpaugh for the final regular season league game against the Buffaloes. Both FC and Alpaugh were 2-0 in league, so both teams looked to overcome the other and stay undefeated. The Eagles and the Buffalos were already assured spots in the championship game, but this game decided who got home territory.

This game would prove to be a very defensive one for both teams initially, but the Eagles showed championship form and defeated Alpaugh, 57-6.

The game began in favor of the Eagles who systematically wore down the Buffaloes. The scoring was opened up by offensive lineman, Sage Sobrado, ‘17, who caught a 23 yard pass to put six points on the board for the Eagles. FC would follow on Sobrado’s touchdown and score 18 more points with the help of another receiving touchdown from Nick LeBlanc, ‘17.  Alpaugh was held scoreless to put the score at, 24-0, at the end of the first quarter.

The Eagles continued their dominating play during the second quarter as well. The rushing game of the Eagles picked up and helped tack on 20 more points. The Eagle defense again held the Buffaloes scoreless with help from senior, Tyler Vanderlinden, who had two interceptions and one fumble recovery. The score at the end of the first half was 44-0 in favor of FC.

20161108-vanderlinden-001
[/media-credit] Tyler Vanderlinden, ’17, recorded two interceptions and a fumble recovery during the game vs Alpaugh.

The temperature increased and the sun continued to beat down and the Eagles were ready to close out the game. Alpaugh came back to the game rejuvenated and looking to put some points up against FC. During the third quarter, Alpaugh held the Eagles to only one touchdown but the Eagles held the Buffaloes scoreless again.

The game was almost over and all the Eagles had to do was close it out. However, Alpaugh was not ready to give up just yet. FC was held to only one score but Alpaugh was able to score a touchdown towards the final moments of the game. The final score would be 57-6 in favor of the Eagles.

Senior Daniel Ayres believes the team played well and will be able to defeat Alpaugh again at the championship game, Nov. 10.

“I feel like we played very fundamentally sound and were able to stay disciplined while executing our game plan,” Ayres said. “Since we are playing Alpaugh again, we know what they are going to bring to the table and we know that we can handle it.”

The win over Alpaugh secured the championship game to be at the FC stadium and allowed the Eagles to go 3-0 in league and 9-1 in all competitions. Be sure to arrive early for the Valley championship. Full concessions will be available as well with game time, Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. All spectators must purchase a ticket at the gate as per CIF playoff regulations. No passes will be honored.

Game ticket prices:
Adults – $8
Students – $5
Seniors (65 yr+) – $5
Children under 5 years – free 

For ast week’s sport short, check out: FC football sport short: Stone Ridge Christian.

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email Julian Castro