FC football sport short: CIF Valley championship

FC Football won the 2016 CIF, Central Section 8-man Valley Championship. (Ayers far right)
20161110-football-championship-009
[/media-credit] The FC football team repeated as CIF 8-man valley champions as they defeated Alpaugh, 66-12, Nov. 10.

Eagles dominate, repeat as champions

The final game of the season for the Eagles was the CIF 8-man Valley championship game. It was at home for the Eagles against the Alpaugh Buffaloes. Last week the Eagles played the Buffaloes as well in a regular season matchup where the Eagles were the victors.

With nerves on edge for both teams and a rivalry due to last week’s outcome, both teams were ready to come out strong and take an early game advantage. The Eagles would be the team to pull out in front early. Slater Wade, ‘17, opened up the game with a rushing touchdown early in the first quarter. Junior Tyler Villines, would also run for a touchdown as well as throw one to Julian Castro, ‘17, in the first as well. After a dominating quarter, FC took the lead 28-0.

Not looking to slow up, the Eagles sought to continue their high intense level of play. The Eagle defense was strong throughout the entire first half racking up two interceptions, one being a pick-six by senior, Tyler Vanderlinden, as well as a fumble-six by Daniel Ayres, ‘17. The Eagles ran some trick plays as well including a bubble nine play. Villines threw a backwards pass to Castro who faked the run and threw another pass to Vanderlinden. The bubble nine play was a 60 yard touchdown for the Eagles. Alpaugh could not get passed the Eagle defense and the first half ended with the Eagles taking an overwhelming lead of, 66-0.

The second half would prove to be a more intense matchup. Alpaugh reset their gameplan and recovered. In the third quarter Alpaugh would find the endzone for their first touchdown of the game and hold FC to no scores. However, Alpaugh failed to convert their extra point try and the quarter would end with FC still leading, 66-6.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/296693702″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

The game was coming to a close and the Eagles knew they had to close out the game to be back-to-back champions. Both teams fought hard to keep the other team in their control, but the Buffaloes would once again find the endzone for an additional six points. Alpaugh would once again keep the Eagles scoreless but as the quarter came to a close, FC had to big of a lead for Alpaugh to overcome. The FC Eagles defeated the Alpaugh Buffaloes to become back-to-back champions.

20161110-football-championship-011
[/media-credit] Slater Wade opened up the scoring for the Eagles with a rushing touchdown.

Wade is not only overjoyed with the teams performance in the game, but also believes that the team is well set up for the future.

“The team played exceptionally well and we were able to execute all our assingments just how we were supposed to,” Wade said. “Winning this game and being back-to-back champions means that we accomplished our highest goal. We also set a great example for the younger guys on our team to be successful in the future.”

Head Coach Russ Counts recognizes the accolades of the team and understands what it means for the team to win the championship again.

“This  is the first season FCS went 8-0 in eight man football. This was also the first season that 11-man football has been played since 2012. This team accepted the challenge to play both styles of football and these players did it with pride and passion. To culminate this season with a championship is a testament to a very hard working team. These young men had a goal and they did what it took to accomplish it.”

Eagles finished the season as the CIF 8-man Valley champions and finished with an overall record of, 10-1.

For Last weeks sport short, check out: FC football sport short: Alpaugh

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email Julian Castro.