Varsity boys basketball find success, bond at first tournament

20161201-boy-basketball-tournament-002
[/media-credit] The varsity boys basketball team traveled to Santa Clarita for their first tournament of the season, Dec. 1-3.

Eagles play with injuries, reach championship

At the beginning of every season, teams look to improve or continue success that they had in the previous season. For the FC varsity boys basketball team, much of last season proved to be a disappointment. Despite reaching the valley championship, the Eagles had a less than impressive record of, 8-23, last season.

With a team comprised of 13 experienced seniors, the boys traveled to Santa Clarita to play in the Santa Clarita Christian Tipoff Tournament, Dec. 1-3. The Eagles finished the tournament with a record of, 2-1, placing 2nd in a field of 8 teams.

The first game of the tournament for the Eagles was against the Providence Patriots from Santa Barbra. The Eagles started the game off to a slow start finding themselves down at halftime, 30-17.

Late in the 3rd quarter the Eagles were down by 17 points when the defense started to improve. Slowly the team began to decrease the deficit. The Eagles tied up the game at the end of regulation 52-52.

In overtime, the Eagles leading scorer for the game Damien Boyce, ’17, dislocated his shoulder. This injury caused him to leave the game and sit out the rest of the tournament. With about 10 seconds left in the overtime period the Eagles were down, 57-56, when Nick LeBlanc, ’17, hit a game clinching 3 pointer propelling the team to victory.

LeBlanc was excited to hit the shot for his team. Though he struggled shooting earlier in the game, LeBlanc stayed confident and was ready to take the shot when it was most important.

“It was awesome hitting that shot,” LeBlanc said. “I was really struggling to shoot the ball throughout the game. I was glad I could hit the shot when it mattered. There is still room for improvement but that was an awesome way to start the season.”

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/296376225″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

In the second round of the tournament, the Eagles faced off against the Desert Christian Knights. With Boyce sidelined with his shoulder injury, Tyler Vanderlinden, ’17, stepped into the starting lineup for the team. Early in the game, both teams seemed to be evenly matched.

Towards the middle of the first quarter Daniel Walker, ’17, blocked a shot but dislocated his thumb while doing so. With two starters out due to injury, the Eagles had to go deep into the depth chart to stay in the game. Matthew Muniz, ’17, hit a three pointer with less than a minute left in the first half to tie the score at halftime, 16-16.

In the second half Walker returned to the game with his thumb tapped up. The game remained to be a close one until the final buzzer. With about 10 seconds left Desert Christian stole the ball from the Eagles and tied the game at 40. The Knights stayed in a full court press and committed a detrimental foul. With the Eagles in the bonus, Joel Martinez, ’17, hit one free throw to put the game out of reach.

Despite injuries the Eagles were headed to championship against the hometown team, Santa Clarita Christian. Boyce was impressed with the team’s ability to win with the injuries. He believes that it shows how much depth and talent the team really has.

“We played really good even with our team having so many injuries,” Boyce said. “We were able to pull out close games and make it to the championship.

The Eagles limped into the championship with injuries and fatigue. The Cardinals from Santa Clarita Christian were geared up and ready to defend their home court for the championship. The two teams both put up an even fight. The Cardinals led for the majority of the game but the Eagles took a late lead.

20161201-boy-basketball-tournament-003
[/media-credit] Damien Boyce, ’17, dislocated his shoulder causing him to sit out for the rest of the tournament.

With about a minute and a half left, the Cardinals’ AJ Caldwell hit two 3 pointer in a row to take the lead for good. Santa Clarita Christian went on to win the championship, 59-53.

Overall the three day trip for the team was a success. Matthew Muniz, ’17, enjoyed the trip because of the bonding that took place. He believes that the tournament built up the team’s confidence.

“I really enjoyed the trip,” Muniz said. “I think it was really good for our team to bond and gel together between the games. I thought we played really well for our first tournament and not knowing what teams were going to run going into the tournament.”

Coach Jon Penberthy was satisfied with the teams effort and success overall. He was a little disappointed with the offensive production but surprised with how well the defense performed. Penberthy notes that he was proud of the way the team bonded on the trip.

“I was real proud of how we played.” Penberthy said. “All 14 kids are valuable to our team. They all contribute in different ways which helps us function as a team. Going into the games I thought our offense would be better, but it was our defense that kept us in the games.”

The Eagles look to continue the success the had into the rest of the season. The team’s next game is at Avenal High School on Dec. 6.

To read another basketball article read, Boys basketball team starts season with out-of-town tournament

This writer can be reached via twitter: @Phillip11499 and via email: Phillip Christopher