FC boys soccer sport short: Central Valley Christian

[/media-credit] Jacob Bynum, ’17, warms up his leg by shooting into the goal.

The Eagles travelled to Visalia to face off against the Central Valley Christian Cavaliers, Dec. 5. This game versus the Cavaliers was a non-league preseason game.

The game started out fast paced with both teams getting chances at goal. The defenses of both teams held strong for most of the first half. However, Jacob Bynum, ‘17, would find the back of the net on penalty kick. The goal for the Eagles was scored with around ‘15 minutes left in the first half and would prove to be the lone goal of the first half. The Eagles led the Cavaliers 1-0 going into halftime.

With the start of the second half, both teams faced challenges. The sky had already gotten dark and the only lighting came from overhead ones on the field. The temperature was only dropping further and weather became icy cold. However, after a brief warm up, both teams were ready to start the second half and finish the game.

CVC was fired up and looked to score an equalizer early on. Just minutes into the second half, the Cavaliers scored a goal and tied the game up at 1-1. But the Eagles were not ready to give up. Sophomore Brandon Brogan scored a goal from the top right of the 18 yard box. The score would put the Eagles in front once again 2-1.

With the game winding down, the Cavs got fired up and sought to score another goal. But the Eagles were not going to allow that to happen. Freshman Wesley Hinton scored a goal after being assisted by Brogan. The Eagles led 3-1. CVC came back quickly after the score and scored one of their own after an indirect kick outside of the 18 yard box. However, there was not enough time to beat the defense of the Eagles and score another goal. The game ended in favor of the Eagles, 3-2.

Senior Jarrod Markarian believes the team played well and has a bright future but knows there are also things to work on.

“I’m very happy with the win,” Markarian said. “We played really good and we actually felt like a team. I definitely think this season is going to be a good one but there are things we still have to fix and improve on to continue winning games.”

The win over Central Valley Christian puts the Eagles overall record 2-1-2. Next the Eagles will travel to Orange Cove to play the Titans.

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected]