FC boys soccer sport short: Riverdale

[/media-credit] FC boys soccer lost to Riverdale High School, 3-1, Jan. 25.

Cowboys defeat Eagles

The Eagles faced off against the Riverdale Cowboys at home in the two teams’ first match-up of the season, Jan. 25. The Eagles were defeated by the Cowboys, 3-1.

FC was ready to play at home and was hoping for the win. After days of rain, the sun was finally out and shining brightly on the players. The temperature was mildly warm and the field was a muddy arena for the two teams to battle on.

The game started out well for the Eagles including a few chances on goal early. However, after a brief injury break for Nathan Mount, ‘18, the Cowboys were able to recover and take control. Riverdale began to create many opportunities and take hold of possession for most of the first half.

FC was doing their best on the defensive side to keep the Cowboys from scoring and were doing well. The Cowboys were creating numerous opportunities but the Eagle defense held as strong as they could. With minutes remaining in the first half, Riverdale was able to find the back of the net to put their team up, 1-0.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/304825804″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

The Eagles took the halftime break to discuss new strategies and ways to equalize the game but Riverdale was not going to slow down in the second half. The Eagles continued to struggle offensively but the defense kept the game under control. After creating so many chances, though, the Cowboys were able to score two goals putting the score at 3-0 and leaving the Eagles with little time to make a comeback.

[/media-credit] Senior Jarrod Markarian, No. 10, assisted on the Eagles’ only goal of the game.

Exhausted and muddy, the Eagles continued to fight. Junior Tyler Villines was moved to forward from his defensive position in hopes that this change would help FC score. Soon after the change, senior captain Jarrod Markarian assisted Jacob Bynum, ‘17, as he got the ball around the Cowboy keeper to finally get the Eagles on the board.

However, there was no time left for the Eagles to continue their comeback and Riverdale would take the win, 3-1.

Mount believes the team has potential but recognizes some needs they need to improve.

“I think that we need to be overall more focused on our play,” Mount said. “We need to improve on working as a team. That will help us in future games this season.”

The loss against Riverdale puts the Eagles’ overall record at 3-2-5.

Check out the last boys’ soccer sport short: FC boys soccer sport short: Fowler

This author can be reached via Twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected].