Local teen earns national football attention

Gridiron prospect Keanu Williams son of campus administrator

[/media-credit] Son of FC student Liason Reggie Williams, Keanu Williams is one of the top ranked 8th graders in the nation for football.

While former Iowa Hawkeye running back Reggie Williams no longer plays football, his son Keanu Williams, ’21, is poised for a long gridiron career even though he still attends Granite Ridge Intermediate School. Williams is touted as one of the State’s top 8th grade football prospects.

Williams played defensive end this last fall in middle school but is already listed at 6’4 and 253 pounds.

Williams has exceptional size for his age. Over the course of his middle school education and football experience, opposing offensive lineman have trouble containing him. Often Williams is in the backfield right after the ball is snapped. Williams loves the contact and physicality that football brings.

Recently, Williams was invited to play in the 2017 FBU All-American game in San Antonio, Texas. Only 60 players from the 8th and 9th grade across the nation were invited to the game. Williams was invited as one of the top defensive players of the class of 2021.

According to his dad, Reggie, the FBU All-American invitation is a huge honor. It boasts the top upcoming talent in the nation. It can be compared to the NFL combine for incoming high schoolers. For example, Christian McCaffrey attended the game when he was eligible to play.

Reggie is proud of and happy with where Williams is at in terms of his athletic progression. He says Williams is emphasizing grades, test scores, and eating very healthy in hopes of landing a college scholarship.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/309383124″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]

[media-credit name=”Courtesy of Reggie Williams” align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit]

“It’s huge for him to have been invited to the FBU All-American game,” Reggie said. “I was never invited to one of these, I had to work super hard to get any recognition. I am pushing Keanu to focus hard on his grades and eventually getting some very good SAT scores. Keanu works harder than any kid I have ever known. He flips tires, boxes to improve his hand speed, and takes his nutrition very seriously.”

Williams’ whole life is preparing for the college game and improving his own game. He meets with a trainer four times a week, to work on footwork and getting stronger.

“I had so much fun at the All-American game,” Williams said. “I was in my element surrounded by kids who work just as hard as me that are also focused on the end goal. It was fun being around kids who have similar lives and dedication. It was fun competing with the best of the best and seeing what the top competition looked like. I work so hard. I meet with my trainer four times a week as well as doing boxing and tires as often as I can to get stronger. I’m trying to focus on the present and just enjoy the ride.”

Williams is trying his best to insure himself a Division 1 scholarship by keeping his grades up, staying out of trouble and developing on his skills.

“I really want to improve at bull-rushing the opponent straight into the quarterback,” Williams said. “Im trying to make it so my feet move faster, my hands move faster, and I can get offensive lineman’s hands off me. Im working on predicting the snap count and being in the backfield before the offense even realizes it. I have been working hard training at Breakaway Fitness with my trainer Pete Lopes.”

Williams has already been featured as a top athlete for his talents and strong work ethic. In the offseason, he will be working hard on his athleticism and strength to improve his bull rush ability.

For another article check out: Student overcomes obstacle, inspires others.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @DawsonTriplitt and via email: Dawson Triplitt