FC girls basketball sport short: Riverdale

Eagles beat the buzzer to defeat Cowboys

[/media-credit] Erin Wilson, ’18, puts up a shot during the game vs Riverdale

The Eagles faced off against the Riverdale Cowboys at home in the teams’ first match-up of the season, Jan. 27. FC defeated the Cowboys, 39-38.

The first quarter began and the two teams were evenly matched. Neither the Eagles or the Cowboys could gain an advantage and the lead changed multiple times. However, both teams fought hard every minute of the game.

The Eagles began to scrape ahead in the second quarter but not by much. Riverdale was able to stay right on their back’s and keep the game close. FC went into halftime with a three-point lead over Riverdale.

Going into the second half, the Eagles knew they had to step on the gas if they wanted to win this game. However, the Cowboys had that same mindset and also pushed themselves to gain an advantage. More lead changes provided for an exciting quarter and both teams’ fans were hoping for the win. The Cowboys did well in the third quarter and began to gain a small lead. Going into the last quarter, Riverdale led by nine points.

With the game coming to a close and the Eagles down by single digits, desire burned in their hearts and they knew they could win this game. Slowly but surely, FC cut down on Riverdale’s lead and eventually came within one point.

Twelve seconds remained on the clock and Riverdale was shooting free throws. After the first shot went in, the Eagles prepared to snatch a rebound and attempt to win the game. Riverdale missed the second free throw and senior Juliette Davila grabbed the rebound and hurried down the court.

[/media-credit] Macie Thompson, ’19, shoots a free throw vs Riverdale.

Down by two Davila had the idea to drive but was stopped by strong Cowboy defense. However, multi-schooler Julie Gossett, ‘17, was open and standing behind the three-point line. Davila’s pass to Gossett gave her just enough time to get a shot off. The three-point attempt sailed through the air as time expired. Gossett’s attempt was successful and put the Eagles ahead in the score and gave them the win, 39-38.

Teammates swarmed Gossett and were soon followed by fans. The Eagles excitement could be clearly seen on the faces of the players and on those in support. FC will face Riverdale again in their next game, Jan. 31.

Erin Wilson, ’18, believes the team’s play during the game was good and recollects the atmosphere after the buzzer beater.

“I think we played really well against Riverdale,” Wilson said. “We didn’t give up when we were down and it really paid off. When Julie made the shot, the energy was amazing and we were all so excited and happy.”

Check out the last basketball sport short: FC basketball sport short: Parlier

This author can be reached via Twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected]