Student overcomes obstacle, inspires others

Toryn Triplitt displays determination, perseverance

[/media-credit] Toryn Triplitt, ’20, has been deaf since she was born but hears through her cochlear implants.

Every human on earth has one thing in common. All people have difficulties and challenges that are placed in front of them. It is when someone is overcoming those struggles that their true determination and perseverance is pushed to its limits.

For Toryn Triplitt, ’20, she has taken her obstacle and conquered it, completing every day with fearlessness.

Triplitt has been deaf since she was born, but through the technology behind cochlear implants, she is able to hear. For most of her first year of life, her parents, Traci and David Triplitt, and doctors were suspicious of the possibility of this disability. After doctor appointments and checkups, the doctors confirmed that she was unable to hear.

“We found out that Toryn was deaf when she was about nine months old,” Traci said. “We began to suspect it at seven months, and it was confirmed through medical appointment and tests over the next two months. It would not have been something we could have known before her birth, but it could have been discovered at birth if she had a newborn hearing testing.”

Learning that their daughter was deaf took a toll on her parents. At the time, they were unaware of the possibilities that could aid Triplitt in her hearing.

“When we learned of Toryn’s diagnosis, we both went through our own process of grieving and coming to terms with her diagnosis,” Traci said. “At the time we did not know about cochlear implants and all of the options, so a diagnosis of profound hearing loss came with a lot of uncertainty and a lot to learn. As a mom, I was sad and initially felt overwhelmed.”

At the time of Triplitt’s diagnosis, Traci and David were told that cochlear implants would not be a possibility for her. Attempting to get the best possible care for their daughter, they sought a second opinion.

“We heard about cochlear implants shortly after her diagnosis but were initially told by local ENTs that Toryn would not be a candidate,” Traci said. “After doing our own research, we went to see Dr. Joseph Roberson at the California Ear Institute in Palo Alto and began the evaluation process for CIs. Toryn had her first CI surgery for her first implant at 18 months of age, and then her second implanted at age three.”

For about the first five years of her life, Triplitt spent time traveling to therapy sessions and appointments to help her adjust to using cochlear implants. She attended auditory verbal therapy at Weingarten Children’s Center in Redwood City. She also made multiple trips back to Palo Alto for mapping appointments.

Though all of the travel was extremely tiring for the family, Triplitt was equipped and ready for kindergarten without a need for any special services in the classroom.

Traci is proud of her daughter for overcoming everything that she has. She is encouraged by her daughter’s ability to participate in any extracurricular activities that she wants to.

“Toryn has not let her deafness or implants keep her from doing things,” Tracy said. “She danced for seven years and performed in recitals. She has always earned good grades, and she has been riding horses for nine years and barrel racing for the past four years.”

Overall the entire process, from diagnosis to treatment, tested the family’s faith and put them through a lot. They were surrounded by a good support system. In the end, Traci is most thankful to God for helping through the difficult time.

“It took a lot of time and resources,” Traci said. “We were blessed to have family close by who helped out.   The journey of suspecting that Toryn had hearing issues, to receiving her diagnosis or profoundly deaf, and all that went into getting her CI’s sparked a greater need and desire for us to seek the Lord in all of it. In the end, we credit the Lord for his provision, for answered prayers and for the ways it increased our faith!”

Throughout her time growing up, Toryn has overcome judgment from others. Despite discouragement, she has become a very outgoing person. She decided that she would not be afraid of anything and would not let her disability hold her back.

“Being deaf has definitely affected how I interact with people,” Toryn said. “Some have thought I was weird or didn’t know how to address me about my disability. I’ve learned just not to let people’s opinion of me get to me. I’ve learned to just be myself, get out there and be willing to put myself out there. I’ve learned that sometimes I just need to approach people first. I’ve learned that although I may not be able to hear without the help of my implants, I can do anything that anyone else can do and that this won’t hold me back unless I let it.”

[/media-credit] Triplitt has not let her disability hold her back as she has participated in dance and other physical activities since she was little.

Triplitt has had faith in God through her entire life. She thanks God for giving her a passion that distracts her from her struggles.

“God has never let me stay discouraged for too long,” Triplitt said. “He gave me the opportunity and the resources to have cochlear implants. He gave me a passion for horses and that’s what I tend to think of as my break from being deaf. He’s given me opportunities to help others through this disability and be an example for them.

“God helped me not let what people think of me go to my head, and mostly, He has given me the most amazing group of friends that see me as normal,” Triplitt continued. “They never give a second thought to my disability or implants besides the fact that they think they’re awesome. They’ve stuck with me and helped me through the ups and downs of life and reassured me when I’m down.”

Triplitt looks forward to continuing to inspire other people by the way she lives. In everything she does, Triplitt hopes that she would motivate others to not let any disability keep someone from doing things that they want to do.

To read another article check out: Teens connect through media applications.

This writer can be reached via twitter: @Phillip11499 and via email: Phillip Christopher.