Campus softball begins pre-season training

[/media-credit] The FC softball team has begun spring training for the upcoming season.

Eagles expect to rebuild, improve

The upcoming softball season started off their spring training without a head coach at hand. The athletic department took some time to find the right man for the job. After a long search, they found the right man for the job: Darrell Donis.

Donis has high expectations for his softball squad this year. He expects them to practice and play with passion.

“We will continue to teach those who are new to softball,” Donis said. “We will push those who have experience and we will expect the experienced players to take a lead role in the development. My expectations are to win as many games as we can. We have to have that winning mentality going into every game that we play this season because I really think it will boost our confidence as the season goes on.”

The players this year are also going to be challenged. As they are starting pre-season training, it will take them time to get prepared for the regular season.

After a disappointing season last year, many girls did not return to the softball team. However, the girls that are playing are looking forward to a successful season.

This season will for rebuilding and developing for the future. The girls will still be playing every game with passion and intensity.

A first-year student Alina Davila, ‘19, from Caruthers High School has transitioned well into the FC campus. She hopes to take that onto the softball field and into the season.

“Being a first-year softball player at FC, I want to be sure and make a good impression on my teammates,” Davila said. “I want to be able to work hard and help my teammates win as many games as we can this season. I hope to be a good addition to the team this year.”

[/media-credit] The Eagles will be looking to rebuild with their new coach Darrell Donis.

Returning players will be held accountable for most of the leadership this year. They will have to lead the new girls and help them develop into better players over the year.

One of the returning players from last year, Celeste Counts, ‘18, is excited to see what her teammates can do over the course of the season.

“I’ve been playing softball for five years now,” Counts said. “And I think that this might be one of the most important years for me. As an upperclassman, I feel like I have to grow as more of a leader and be confident in myself and my teammates around me. Overall, I can’t wait for this upcoming season; it should be a good one.”

With the season looming right around the corner, the girls will have to stay focused throughout the entirety of it. Their goal is to not just come together as a team but to also come together as a family.

To read another article check out: Student overcomes obstacle, inspires others.

This writer can be reached via email: Suky Cheema.