FC basketball sport short: Parlier

[/media-credit] The Eagles closed out the regular season with a win over Parlier High School, 67-59.

Eagles close out regular season

Heading into their final league game, the FC boys’ basketball team looked to defeat Parlier High School. The Eagles came in ready to fight and captured the victory, 67-59. 

Coming into the game, the Eagles were expecting to win. In their previous matchup against Parlier, they won by 13 points. However, the Panthers were looking to knock the Eagles off of their six-game winning streak on their Senior Night. The first quarter was played very evenly as neither team gained much of an advantage. 

Throughout the first half, the Eagles maintained a 10 point lead. FC had trouble stretching the lead out due to Daniel Walker, ’17, being in foul trouble. Coming out of the second half, fouls played a very big role in clock management. With three minutes left in the third quarter, both teams were in the double bonus with over 10 fouls.

As the fouls began getting called, the Panthers started to minimize the Eagles’ lead. With about four minutes left in the game, the Panthers tied the game at 53. Soon after this, Walker and Phillip Christopher, ’17, fouled out of the game. For the last minutes of the game, the Eagles had to play conservative as Matt Muniz, ’17, and Trevor Trevino, ’17, both had four fouls. As the game drew near to the end, the Eagles converted free throws sealing the victory. The Eagles defeated the Panthers, 67-59. In total the second half had 37 fouls called. 

[/media-credit] Phillip Christopher, No. 33, chipped in 11 points to the Eagles total.

Leading the Eagles in scoring was Joel Martinez, ’17, with 24 points. Trevino and Christopher also chipped in 11 points each. Martinez was discouraged by the way the team played and how many fouls were being called. He felt that it took away from the team’s flow in the game.

“I thought the amount of fouls that were called really took away from our players,” Martinez said. “It slowed the game down and kept us from establishing a good rhythm. To counter that, I just tried to take good shots, make my free throws, and play aggressively. Heading into playoffs this game kinda took away from our momentum. We didn’t play very well.”

This win extended the Eagles streak to seven games. FC finished in second place in the West Sequoia League, one game behind Fowler High School. Seedings for playoffs will be released on Feb. 17. The Eagles are Check back after Feb. 17 to see what seed and who the Eagles will be playing in the first round of the CIF Central Section Division V playoffs.

The Eagles are now headed to the CIF Central Section Divison V playoffs. FC is the No. 2 seed of 15 teams. They will face off against No. 15 Avenal High School in the first round of the playoffs. The game will be in the FC gym at 7 p.m., Feb. 22.

To read the last sport short check out: FC basketball sport short: Fowler.

This writer can be reached via Twitter @Phillip11499 and via email: Phillip Christopher