Feather takes NYC 2017: Day 3

[/media-credit] Feather staffers endured a blizzard on their third day spent in New York City, March 14.

Blizzard causes change of plans

Snowflakes fell from the sky as the well-rested students awoke from their deep sleep. Due to the blizzard that was approaching New York City, many of the activities planned for The Feather staff’s day were canceled, March 14.

The group had planned to take a ferry ride around the Statue of Liberty and visit the Tenement Museum in the lower East side of Manhattan. Instead, a last-minute trip to Chelsea Market in the Meatpacking District was planned.

The indoor market stretches a block long and is home to a variety of eateries and shops such as Los Tacos No. 1, Creamline, and Anthropologie. The old Nabisco factory holds over 35 vendors within its walls. Throughout the past 15 years, Chelsea Market has become one of the most popular indoor food halls of the world.

Sophia Kalugin, ‘19, enjoyed the broad range of stores inside of the market. She enjoyed exploring all of the options that the location had to offer.

“I liked Chelsea Market because it had a variety of shops and stores,” Kalugin said. “I ate at Amy’s Bread and got their pastries. I spent most of the time looking and shopping at the various stores in the market.”

The next stop of the day was a trip to the Flatiron Building. The building is a tourist attraction and one of the most photographed buildings in all of New York City. It stands at 307 feet tall and was built in 1902 by architect Daniel Burnham.

After group shots and selfies were taken in front of the building and in Flatiron Plaza, students moved to a small area and enjoyed their time in the snow. An impromptu snowball fight began between all students. The icy clumps of snow provided for perfect ammunition for each side as they attacked one another.

Junior Jaden Ventura thought the snowball fight was a good way to take a break from traveling and have a little fun.

[/media-credit] The staff enjoyed browsing the shops inside of Chelsea Market to avoid the snow outside.

“The sudden breakout of the snowball fight in front of such an iconic place was amazing,” Ventura said. “It was nice to take a break and just have a good time. It was so fun and we didn’t care about getting cold or wet.”

To end the day, the group traversed through the cold weather to go see The Lion King on Broadway. The play featured many spectacular costumes and set designs as well as a diverse acting group with some actors coming from South Africa.

Kaylie Clem, ‘19, enjoyed the Broadway play and believes it was a great rendition of the movie.

“I think that every part of The Lion King on Broadway was perfect from the costumes to the sets and the music,” Clem said. “The cast did such an amazing job performing such a well-known Disney cartoon in a new way. Although the movie is a classic, I believe that the play was better because of the amazing choreography.”

Following the play, the group grabbed a quick bite to eat at various restaurants in the Times Square area before heading back to the hotel for the night. Despite having many of the day’s original activities canceled, The Feather staff managed to find fun things to do while in the Big Apple.

Check back throughout the week to stay updated with The Feather’s adventures in New York.

To read another daily recap check out: The Feather takes NYC 2017: Day 2.

These writers can be reached via Twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and @Phillip11499 or via email: Julian Castro and Phillip Christopher

[rev_slider alias=”NewYorkday3recap2017″]