Kathy Pierce celebrates 30 years during FC’s 40th anniversary

Long-time staff member serves under three superintendents

[/media-credit] Kathy Pierce is celebrating her 30th year at Fresno Christian, serving in the central office as the assistant to the superintendent.

Fresno Christian has undergone many cultural and structural changes over its 40 years. Kathy Pierce has worked as an assistant to the superintendent for 30 of these years. She has worked at the school through times when it was still growing into what it is today.

Although the school has changed, Pierce believes that the FC community still sets up students for a lifetime of success. Whether students attend post-secondary education or enter the workforce, she believes they are prepared for the next step.

“Our purpose has been and continues to be equipping young people for life and service for Jesus Christ through a biblical foundation, character development and academic preparation in partnership with the home and local church,” Pierce said. “We continue to focus on developing students to be world changers serving Jesus in every area of life and type of work.”

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/322639849″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

The school has grown significantly since it first opened in 1977. Pierce noted several of these differences. The first kindergarten class began with 28 students under teacher Melva Cookingham, and 10 students from 12th grade made up the first FCS high school graduation in 1982. In comparison, there are currently 40 kindergartners and 52 seniors. The total school student population K-12 is 507 students in 2017.

“We have gone from being on three campuses to now just one campus for K-12,” Pierce said. “We have our own gym, field bleachers, plus an outdoor electronic football scoreboard.  Music is no longer taught in a small single-wide trailer. The library went from Room 625 to the current double wide modular. Science and journalism/computer labs are upgraded. [The] computer lab was a typewriter room at one time. In fact, when my two oldest children (Carolyn, ’91, Mark, ’94, ) attended FCS, they had a typing class, not a computer class.”

Pierce’s third child, Matthew, also attended FC, and graduated in 2000.

[/media-credit] In only her second year, Kathy Pierce was the assistant to Tim Wilkins, as shown in this 1988 photo; she soon would work closely with three superintendents of Fresno Christian Schools.

After ten years, Fresno Christian moved from the “Valley campus” to Peoples Church, in the fall of 1987. In 2012, the Northeast campus and Peoples Church campus merged, in order to have every grade, K-12, on one campus. 

With the growth of student population came additional staff. In 1981, the total teacher and staff on campus were 17 individuals. Today, FCS has 40 teachers plus coaches and 24 support staff.

In another major addition, Pierce indicated that “Eagle Stadium,” Fresno Christian’s football field, was a major step in its growth. The infrastructure was donated by Christianna Enterprises and dedicated on October 22, 2010.

From Pierce’s perspective as an administrator, Fresno Christian still offers an excellent experience for students and parents. Teachers are often mentors and coaches to students, modeling a Christian worldview in and out of the classroom.

“FCS is a great place for parents to send their kids because it is our desire to partner with them in training their child(ren) to know who Jesus is, and to grow them in their relationship with Him,” Pierce said. “Teachers and staff offer excellence in academic preparation for life and model the love of Jesus. They are committed to the education and training of each child so they can succeed.  We are a family that cares about the needs of others.”

Our purpose has been and continues to be equipping young people for life and service for Jesus Christ through a biblical foundation, character development and academic preparation in partnership with the home and local church. We continue to focus on developing students to be world changers serving Jesus in every area of life and type of work — Kathy Pierce

Superintendent Jeremy Brown took over leadership of the school from Debbie Siebert, who served as superintendent from March 2008 to May 2014. Pierce trusts in Brown’s dedication to the Fresno Christian community.

“Jeremy’s deep faith is evident in every area of the school,” Pierce said. “From the day to day interaction with students, parents, staff, donors, pastors, ministries and city leaders, it is clear that he trusts Jesus to lead him and the school.

“One area that stands out to me is how he has developed a relationship with the majority of the member church lead pastors,” Pierce continued. “Because of these relationships, he has been given pulpit time in many of the churches. Through these relationships, he is building a larger FCS community.”

[/media-credit] The 17 members of the FCS teachers and staff during the 1981 school year. The school was housed on the Cedar campus for the first 10 years.

Although she has worked under many superintendents, Pierce has been able to serve them all and adapt to changing technology, their leading and administrative styles over the decades.

“I am celebrating my 30th year,” Pierce said. “My job has always been an assistant to the superintendent. Different personalities and their gifting have challenged me to learn how to come alongside each superintendent and understand the best way to help them carry out their vision.”

As Fresno Christian celebrates its 40th year and 34th auction, Pierce has ambitions for the school’s future.

“My hopes are to see the school grow to maximum enrollment, necessitating the addition of a new education building,” Pierce said. “[And to] continue to grow the number of students engaged in serving and witnessing to the greater Fresno community.

If you have a favorite memory from your time at Fresno Christian, please share in the comments below.

For those interested in enrolling, view the application packet.

To contact Fresno Christian, call (559) 299-1695, or email [email protected]

For more information on Fresno Christian Schools, visit their website.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @Will_VanderKooi and email: Will Vander Kooi.

For another feature, read Campus hosts annual event, asks for donations.