Tennis team honors 8 players on senior night

[/media-credit] Nick LeBlanc, ’17, serves the ball across the court to his opponent on March 21.

Seniors set their sights on valley championship 

Seniors Julian Castro, Will Vander Kooi, Nick LeBlanc, Nevan Gonzalez, Zach Passmore, Jarrod Markarian, Trevor Trevino, and Damien Boyce will be recognized before the matches start as they play their last home game as high school tennis players, April 4.

The Eagles will compete against Firebaugh, hoping they will be able to sustain their undefeated streak in league by finishing with a win. The seniors are looking forward to winning their last home game as a team and not just as individuals.

This year has been filled with positives as the entire team has set eyes on the championship. Will Vander Kooi, ’17, wants to make one of his last high school tennis matches one to remember.

“I think it is important that we end the season with a valley championship,” Vander Kooi said. “I want to leave the FC tennis team with a valley championship win. I have had a lot of fun moments playing tennis over the years. Usually, my favorite moments happen at practice. Sometimes, Coach Jesse thinks it’s fun to turn the power on the ball machine all the way up to see if he can hit me with them. I will definitely miss playing tennis along side some of my closest friends.”

[/media-credit] Zach Passmore, ’17, rallies a hit against Golden Valley at the California Tennis Classic Tournament on March 3.

Head coach Robert Foshee has seen these seniors grow throughout the years and hopes that they can lead the rest of the team to a valley championship.

“It has been great to see these players grow into the people and players that they have become,” Foshee said. “It has been an honor to see them change and into the great kids they are today. I am proud of our seniors and I hope they can keep this drive that they have had all season and leave the school with a tennis valley championship. I hope that i have been the best possible coach to them over the years and they can cherish the memories that we have been able to share together.”

Zach Passmore, ’17,  reflects on how much he has been able to grow in the game of tennis. Being the number one is never easy but he has thrived in that role this year.

“I have had a lot of great moments throughout my years of playing tennis for this school,” Passmore said. “One of my favorite moments was back in 10th grade when we came back from a 4-7 deficit and ended up beating Fowler. We have had quite the rivalry throughout the year and we hope to beat them again this year. I find tennis fun because it is a thinking man’s game and every decision can dramatically affect how the point plays out.”

With the end of the season right around the corner, the tennis team will look to keep their record perfect. Come out and support your eagles! Senior night festivities will begin at 3:45 p.m. and the games will start at 4.

For more features read, California Baptist engages with students, promotes healthy campus life.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @sukyboiii and via email: Suky Cheema.