World renowned composer shares story through music

Key Poulan discusses his musical career

Some like to play it, others like to write it, direct it and some enjoy rearranging other’s work. Considered the universal language by many, music encompasses all, young and old. Many are drawn to the art at a young age in elementary bands, or in youth choirs.

World renowned composer and arranger, Key Poulan began his music career playing the trombone in his elementary school’s band. He continued to play the trombone through high school and eventually pursued a career in music education. Poulan spent his free time composing and arranging music during his education.

[/media-credit] Key Poulan poses with a Drum Corps International Champions Trophy his marching band won.

“When I was a sophomore in high school, this little movie came out in 1977 called Star Wars,” Poulan said. “I got a recording of the music and I listened to it. My first start in terms of writing music was writing out the first trombone part so I could play along. I continued to practice that and I eventually went to East Texas University and got my music-ed degree. I was also composing and arranging music during that time.”

“Once I got to California, I ended up having my own band program at Buchanan High School,” Poulan said. “Instead of arranging, I decided to give composition a shot. Once I did that, we won 2 west coast championships in Division 3a. Our performance was so well received, other directors wanted to get a hold of my music.”

Winning numerous awards and honors, Poulan has achieved the Sudler Order of Merit, Four-Time Classical Symphonic Band Winner, Citations of Excellence by the National Band Association and many awards during his time at Buchanan high school. In 2001, his wind ensemble ‘A’ and ‘B’ were performed at Carnegie Hall.

Music arrangers take music from composed music and manipulate the melodies and chorus of the song. Musicians who compose music create original songs and music. Poulan enjoys both arranging and composing and is commissioned to do both for marching bands across the world.

“As I was commissioned to arrange for bands, I began to offer compositions as an alternative.” Poulan said. “It was mainly word of mouth that caused my business to grow. I started to branch out using the internet and ended up sending out mailers with CD recordings of my work across the country. At that point, my business just exploded.”

Believing music is a universal language, Poulan sees the art’s ability to influence many different groups and cultures of people. Poulan incorporates emotion into his compositions to leave a lasting impact on listeners and provide a foundation for the music.

“I do try to tell a story through my music,” Poulan said. “I will either come up with a concept, the band director will, or the visual designers will offer a theme. Once I have a concept, I play a mini-movie in my mind, and then I try to create music that would fit that movie.”

[/media-credit] Poulan poses with his son Key (left) and his daughter Kaitlyn (right).

His first composition, The Rise, and Fall of Rome remains his most successful piece. According to Poulan, the Roman-themed show has sold over 200 times to bands across the world.

“My first composition for marching band was called The Rise and Fall of Rome,” Poulan said. “Instead of doing the literal rise and fall of Roman Empire, I decided to create three different movements representing the architectural rise and fall. The first movement is called Chisels and Stones and there are a lot of places where rocks and metal are hit together to get a unique sound. The second movement is called Catacombs where the Christians would go to hide and pray. The last movement is called Pagan Dance and the great Fire.”

Poulan advises all aspiring arrangers to obtain legal permission to use other’s works. His advice for both arrangers and composers is to take risks and work through failures. According to Poulan, musicians who never take risks will never know if their pieces are successful or unfavorable.

To learn more about Poulan, visit his website. 

For more articles, read BRIEF: Students and Feather staff enter Christmas vacation. For more features, read Christian campus offers students various opportunities.

This author can be reached via email