EDITORIAL: Senior year provides personal growth, mentorship opportunities

Students who skip senior year miss out on opportunities and fellowship

[/media-credit] School programs like Brother to Brother, Sister to Sister and volunteering with community groups provide young students with older students for mentorship and guidance in both spirituality and behavior.

Many students consider the option to skip senior year and finish high school early. Some students claim that forfeiting senior year saves money and allows them to begin college early. However, some fail to recognize the importance of the senior class’s presence on campuses.

As a small campus, Fresno Christian sees classes of only around 50+ students. Unlike bigger schools with larger classes, these small classes allow individuals to stand out and be an example. Seniors on campus set an example for the elementary and junior high students who observe the older students.

Seniors are morally obligated to attend school and lead the campus because mentorship is an important part of any education. School programs like Brother to Brother and Sister to Sister provide young students with older students for mentorship and guidance in both spirituality and behavior.

While there are some who claim senior year is a waste of time because the required credits can be completed in three years, there are also many college prep classes seniors can take to prepare for life after high school.

School administrators are currently working on programs and courses that would give seniors an extra incentive to finish high school off strong. Some of the ideas include internships and online classes.

The transition from high school to college is one of the most significant steps in one’s life. For many, the change signals a move towards independence and greater freedoms in life. College presents many opportunities good and bad, and incoming college freshmen need the maturity and self-control to discern good from evil and right from wrong. — Feather staff

Students also have the option to take A.P. classes, which give them college credit if they pass the final exam. Taking these classes could also save students money in the long run because they would not have to take those classes in college.

There are also some who argue that students are not yet mature enough to live on their own or start work if they skip senior year. According to researchers, the brain does not fully develop until a person is around 25 years old. Although this is something that varies with each individual, a student may not yet be mentally prepared to begin life on their own.

However, many feel that the benefits for skipping senior year for example students get an early jump on college allowing them to save time. In addition to this many people believe that senior year is unnecessary for students and would be better used gaining real world experience or attending college.

Additionally, while some believe that the experiences gained in senior are valuable, they do not believe that this value outweighs the obvious financial and time benefits given to those who skip.

[/media-credit] Seniors help provide leadership not only in the classroom, but also in extra curricular clubs and activities, including the campus worship team.

Lately, state legislature’s, including Indiana’s, push students to graduate early. One reason why they are doing so is that the government saves money when students only attend three years of high school. However, whether or not skipping a year of high school is beneficial for the students is still debated.

Governing bodies who push for early graduation solely for the purpose of cost-cutting are hurting the next generation in the long term. Students who leave the safety and watch of parents risk falling victim to poor choices and bad habits.

The transition from high school to college is one of the most significant steps in one’s life. For many, the change signals a move towards independence and greater freedoms in life. College presents many opportunities good and bad, and incoming college freshmen need the maturity and self-control to discern good from evil and right from wrong.

As the oldest and most mature on campus, seniors present a unique role of student leadership to their peers and teachers. Seniors not only represent the school they attend but also present the example to peers on how to represent the school.

Incoming seniors, decide to lead and represent the campus next year.

For more staff editorials read, Editorial: Avoiding peer pressure, temptation.