Incoming high schoolers express fears, worries of high school

[/media-credit] Kyle Dodson, left, advises English I students on a creative assignment after finishing their short story unit, Sept. 14.

Freshmen find increased workload challenging

High school demands many responsibilities, but it also brings fears to some students. The terror of fitting in and getting all the right classes for college haunts most high schoolers but incoming freshmen fears are all too real for many students.

The Feather conducted a poll and the results show that the majority of students get overwhelmed with the idea of homework piling up.

According to a Washington Post article, homework often negatively affects students. Some incoming freshmen experience the impacts of more homework high school brings. 

“Rather than improving educational achievement, heavy homework load can negatively affect the performance of students.” This often prevents students from exploring the outside world.

Kyle Clem, ‘21, reflected on his feeling about high school but did not fear his future college years, as did many of his peers.

“As a younger sibling, I wasn’t very scared because my older sibling paved the way for me,” Clem said. “She taught me how to prioritize my homework. She explained what teachers expect from you.”

My biggest fear going through high school is knowing the expectations I have to meet. I want to make sure that I stay calm in any struggle I might face. I want to stay in control and ask God to help me through it. — Freshman Caleigh Alday

The difficult academic material can be overcome. According to Media-Studies.CA, knowing the purpose of homework will help understand and expand what knowledge that needs to be known on the subject.    

Theatre enthusiast Kyle Dodson strives for academic achievement in the freshman class. He makes it his goal to create a healthy community built on respect.

“As a teacher, I hope to create stronger expectations into the classroom that best sets freshmen up for success,” Dodson said. “Nothing can hurt a student more than coming into freshmen year and overloading themselves. I try to make sure each student’s opinions both academically and non-academically are still valued.”

[/media-credit] As work loads increase, many feel the pressure of the added homework.

Incoming freshmen are introduced to many new extra curricular activities. Entering high school with many fears, Braxton Liebe, ‘21, is a wide receiver on the varsity football team and feels that the requirements of his activities may be his difficulty in high school.

“I feel like I’m not going to get my homework done in time,” Liebe said. “I’m probably not going to play football because of my grades. I need to learn how to prioritize my time.”

As work loads increase, many feel the pressure of the added homework. One way campus students deal with that stress is trusting in God to help them overcome the challenges homework brings. Incoming freshmen Caleigh Alday put her trust in God to help guide her through her journey.

“My biggest fear going through high school is knowing the expectations I have to meet,” Alday said. “I want to make sure that I stay calm in any struggle I might face. I want to stay in control and ask God to help me through it.”

For all freshmen struggling, the school offers academic assistance. California Scholarship Federation advisor Andrea Donaghe has made a tutoring program for any students that need academic assistance.

“As the second-year CSF advisor with the help of Hallie Rojeski, I’m looking to build a program that encourages students to apply and become involved in service projects,” Donaghe said. “I am happy that we have over 50 CSF members this semester and over a dozen seniors that are possible lifers which is six or more semesters in CSF. Tutoring is received through teacher recommendations. Then I pair the student with the tutor and meet once a week on Thursday from 2 to 3 p.m. after school.”

For students seeking more academic assistance, schedule an appointment with academic advisor Michelle Warkentin via email.

Tim Chavez can be reached via email .

For more featured articles, read History of campus’ hot lunch service

For more on freshmen, read Acceptance, responsibility top freshmen expectations