Style Session No. 4 – Internal Affairs

Yet that’s not what people remember. Because the thing that makes a lasting impression is not how you look, but what you do.

When you think of King David, what’s the first thing you think about? 

[/media-credit] When you think of King David, what’s the first thing you think about?
  • He killed Goliath.
  • He was a shepherd.
  • He killed a lion and a bear.
  • He became King of Israel.
  • He sinned with Bathsheba.

Do you think about what a hottie he was? Didn’t think so.

But it’s true. The Bible says David was “ruddy, with beautiful eyes and a handsome appearance.” He was young, strong, brave and gorgeous. Aren’t those the exact things we value in our society today?

Maybe we value them too much. No, we definitely value them too much.

Kaia Gerber, supermodel Cindy Crawford’s daughter, made her runway debut this month. She was all over the catwalks in Milan and Paris. She is only 16 years old. Products to erase wrinkles, cover grays, and make you look younger are part of a billion-dollar industry for those chasing the fountain of youth.

And what makes me so sad is that even already young men and women fall into this trap, getting plastic surgery and other aesthetic procedures to look smooth and perfect.

[/media-credit] Kaia Gerber, supermodel Cindy Crawford’s daughter, made her runway debut this month.

Remember King David? You remembered the things he did over how he looked. How about Esther? Do you recall what she wore and her year of beautification, or the fact that she saved an entire race of people and was put in a place of royalty “for such a time as this”?

Most of us want to look good. We take care of ourselves and take our selfies. We are Snapchat-ready at all times. But if you want to make a long-term impact, put as much time and effort (if not more) into the things you do, your character, and how you treat others.

It’s easy to say – Do good! Be good! Love others! Serve others! But we will always think of ourselves first. So fine, think about yourself. What type of person are you? What do you care about? Do you have goals? What do you want to accomplish today – this week – next year? You don’t have to have your life planned out, and you certainly don’t know how God will use you, but start thinking about it.

[/media-credit] The thing that makes a lasting impression is not how you look, but what you do.

David was a man after God’s own heart. He was faithful. He was courageous. He trusted the Lord. And even though he sinned badly, which God already knew he would, God also knew his heart.

God is never fooled by our outsides – He looks deeper. You can look as pretty and shiny as you want, but God knows your heart. He told Samuel, “God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart” (1 Samuel 16:7).

Look into the mirror a little less and into your heart a little more. Think about who you are and all the wonderful, incredible things that only you can do – then do them.

~ Silva

For the last Style Session, read Style Session No. 3 – Trending Now.

If you have questions or topics you’d like to see addressed in this blog, please email me at [email protected]. You can read more from me at www.onmyshoebox.com.