Redemption: Short and Sweet

Chapter 10

Junior Kamryn Schultz, starts the second half of her serialized book titled Redemption. Chapters will be revealed every two weeks. Make sure to check back twice a month and leave comments on what you think about it. If you missed the ninth chapter, read New beginnings, old faces.

[/media-credit] Junior Kamryn Schultz continues her serial novel: Redemption.

The ancient pub welcomed us with its historic beauty and loud company. Maryland was already sitting on the patio outside, sipping some substance out of a beer jar. Puzzled and a little worried, we all walked up to the pub.

Maryland waved us over with her free hand. We cautiously entered the area and were taken aback by its distinct smell and look.

All the pubs I had seen in movies were described as dirty and scandalous, a place where people come to drown their problems in booze. But this place emitted a more positive vibe.

As I looked inside I could see friends laughing and talking together. TVs showed athletes playing a sport I’d never seen before, and further back a couple sang a popular song to karaoke. Everyone looked relatively happy, and aside from the occasion drunk exiting the establishment, no one seemed to be lost in their worries.

“Hey, guys!” Maryland patted the chair next to her and urged me to sit down. Kevin and Mom followed.

“I’m so excited! I have a lot of stuff planned for today. It’s gonna be so fun!”

Mom looked over at Maryland full cup, judging the young girl’s choices. Maryland must’ve caught on because she looked at Mom, then at her own mug.

“Oh Mrs. Hawthorne, don’t worry! This is just apple juice. I like to drink it in large glasses to fool people.”

She quickly tossed the rest of her beverage into some nearby bushes to wipe the disapproved look off of Mom’s face.

“Well, are you guys ready to go? I rented us a cab to take to our first destination!”

Kevin and Mom looked very pleased that Maryland the tour under control, and they nodded their heads. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Indi sulking along the sidewalk. She was hidden inside her hoodie and carried a small flask.

“Mom, before we go, is it OK if I give some spare change to those homeless people?” I asked.

“Paige honey, it’s not going to help much,” Mom assured me.

“It’ll only take a second. Look, you guys head to the cab, and I’ll catch up, OK?” I looked back nervously, afraid of losing sight of Indi.

Mom sighed her usual sigh, then finally gave me a few dollars from her pocket.

“Thank you! I’ll be right back!”

I practically sprinted across the street, annoying angry drivers and breaking some laws I had yet to learn. Indi rounded a corner, slipping out of view. I ignored various other beggers as I kept my eyes on the prize.

I rounded the same corner, and was surprised to find a dead end, with Indi nowhere in sight.

“Where did she go?” I asked, confused. I searched the walls, looking for any indents or secret passageways like the ones found in movies. The short alley had walls made of red brick, some deeper shades than others.

I pressed on more of the darker ones, but nothing happened. Suddenly I noticed one part of the wall looked a strange reddish green color. As I inspected it closer, I saw a strange symbol etched into the brick.

A small four leaf clover.

Now, this was not surprising since it represents Ireland to most people. But what was written inside shook me to the core.

Hawthorne.

A thump came from behind, causing immense pain to my head. Slowly, the world started to fade, and I found myself falling backward.

With the little consciousness I had left, I saw a dark hooded figure covering my head with a bag, which I remember smelling terrible. As I finally slipped away, one phrase was uttered that stuck in my mind like glue.

“We finally found her.”

For the first chapter, read Confronting weaknesses. If you missed chapter two, read Is she OK?.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @schultz_kamryn and via email: Kamryn Schultz.