Thor Raganrok exceeds expectations due to audiences reactions

Waititi’s film breaks the box office, sets new records

[/media-credit] Hulk was a major part of this movie, mainly on Sakaar and fighting Hela on Asgaard.

Recently, Marvel movies have been trending towards being more comedic and lighthearted, this is no different with Taika Waititi’s Thor Ragnarok which stars the mighty god of thunder Thor (Chris Hemsworth).

With a star-studded lineup of characters including Cate Blanchett, Tom Hiddleston and Mark Ruffalo. The different personalities created an in-depth storyline throughout the course of the film.

The film starts with Thor dangling from the ruins of an underground tunnel. He engages in a conversation with Surtur (Clancy Brown), who is known as the fire demon, about how Thor’s older sister Hela has returned after Odin’s (Anthony Hopkins) death and is ready to take the throne from him and hence causing Ragnarok. A prophecy about the end of Asgard, Ragnarok was predicted to happen by Odin after he perishes. 

After Thor escapes from Surtur and takes his crown from him, he then travels to Asgard to confront his father, Odin. Once he gets there, he notices that Heimdall (Idris Elba) is not at the gate with his sword but instead is another Asgardian known as Skurge (Karl Urban).

He then meets his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) who tells Thor where his father really is. Loki stranded Odin on Earth when he had exiled himself.

Thor and Loki travel to Earth looking for Odin. With the help of Doctor Stephen Strange, (Benedict Cumberbatch) they find him in Norway. Odin tells his sons that it is time for him to pass on, leaving the throne open to the firstborn.

At this point, the goddess of death arrives and temporarily gets rid of Loki and Thor, throwing them to the rogue planet of Sakaar. In Sakaar, Thor gets captured by Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) taking him to the Grand Master (Jeff Goldblum) who then puts him in a fight against his grand champion, the Hulk.

After their fight, Thor and Hulk, with the help of Valkyrie, escape Sakaar and make their way into Asgard to stop Hela from claiming the throne for good.

[/media-credit] With a stacked casting line up, the movie was bound to have some success from the beginning.

Thor and company continue to hold Hela back from taking on full control of Asgaard while Loki goes into the underground ruins to fetch the aforementioned crown of Surtur. With this crown and the eternal flame, Surtur can finally commence in Ragnarok, which Thor figured out that this was the only way to stop Hela.

This film is the highest rated Marvel movie in MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) history for good reason. This is arguably one of the funniest Marvel movies to date. I found that the movie did an excellent job of mixing humor and action.

The CGI (computer generated images) used in this movie was excellent and did not look fake or blocky, as it so often does in movies. This contributed to the movie’s awesome fight scenes which balanced drama and comedic action.

The acting in the movie was also superb, I could see the humanity in the actors and found them to be very relatable. One actor that did a particularly good job would be Tom Hiddleston in his role as Loki.

I felt that he did a great job with his facial expressions, his acting was excellent and you could relate to the character through them.

If you are not fully into the MCU but still want to see a well directed and comedic movie, then this film is for you. You do not need to know every in-depth detail, just enough to enjoy this movie.

[rwp_box id=”0″]

For more movie reviews, check out Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Review. For more articles, read Evening in French Polynesia luau provides cultural entertainment.

Journalist Matthew Sue also contributed to this review.

Suky Cheema can be reached via Twitter @suky_cheema and via email: Suky Cheema.

Matthew Sue can be reached via Twitter @matthewsue1 and via email: Matthew Sue