Merchants Lunch highlights Armenian history, culture

Celebrating 120 years of Armenian heritage 

Fresno has always been and will continue to a be a hub for many Armenian families. With a large population of Armenian immigrants and descendants, it is no wonder why their culture weaves itself into Fresno’s history.

[/media-credit] Over one hundred years of Armenian history is on display at the Merchants Lunch. This year marks 120 years of Armenian heritage and took place, Nov. 9 at the First Armenian Presbyterian Church in Fresno.

One institution that stands as a foundation for many of these families is the First Armenian Presbyterian Church. Founded on July 25, 1897, it was the first Armenian church in the United States. It became not only a place of worship, but an extended family for many of the men and women immigrating to the U.S. at the time. The greatest example of this sense of family is the Merchants’ Lunch with this year’s event, Nov. 9.

With the Merchants lunch predating even the church itself, its mission and structure has changed over the years. The lunch started as a way for Armenian woman to raise money for widows and families still stuck in Armenia. These women were known as the Armenian Lady’s Patriotic Society.

In later years a woman’s group, known as the Fidelis Society, formed and took over the planning and execution of the luncheon. The group would also decide on what charity the fund would go to. Today, the society no longer exists. Instead, the event is coordinated by church volunteers and families, some volunteering since they were kids.

Philip Tavlian, a life member of First Armenian and church historian shares how the Merchants’ Lunch started and changed over the years. He goes into detail about how funds raised from the event have always gone to helping those in the local community and places beyond.

“In the earliest years of the congregation, even before the congregation was formally chartered, Armenian women would gather together for Bible study and fellowship,” Tavlian said. “They would also gather together to bake goods or meals and then serve them to raise funds and send it to Armenia and Eastern Turkey to help widows, orphans and pastors in that part of the world. Through the years as the church was chartered and then officially organized, these gatherings would continue many times for missionary and charitable purposes.”

[/media-credit] Volunteers prepare food at First Armenian Presbyterian Church, Nov. 9.

Volunteers are one of the key aspects that support the Merchants’ Lunch. People giving of themselves year after year and bonding with each other help bring a sense of community to the event. It does not matter whether you are 80 or eight, all help is welcome.

Barbara Garabedian, a member of the church since 1960 and former member of the Fidelis Society recounts her favorite part of the Merchants’ Lunch. She explains how in her 55 years of volunteering, spending time with the other church members preparing for the event helps to bring everyone together.

“I have been involved with the Merchants’ Lunch for probably close to 55 years,” Garabedian said. “My favorite part the stands out the most is fellowship. During the cooking days, you get a chance to visit with and meet different church members that you may not know very well and form deeper friendships that way.”

Although there is no official year for the first Merchants’ Lunch, we do know First Arminian was founded in 1897 and celebrating 120 years strong. From a starting congregation of 34 men and woman to the 350 it has today, the church has grown. While not a huge church, what it lacks in size, it more than makes up for in the community.

When the church first formed it had no building of its own. Instead, members met at First Congregational Church and held their own services. With many of the members being immigrants fresh out of Armenia, their accents and style were very pronounced. Members of First Congregational didn’t particularly like having the Armenians there and in turn, didn’t blend well.

[/media-credit] The event offers an authentic Armenian experience, complete with a variety of Armenian deserts and meals.

Eventually First Armenian decide to leave and met in rented halls for many years. The two halls where FAPC met most often were Nickels Hall and Edgerly Hall. In 1901, members of the church finally bought enough lots off Dr. Thomas Meux on the corners of Fulton and Santa Clara to build their own church.

While the congregation met there for 40 years, the building remained and became the last wooden church in Fresno until it burned down in 1985. Between 1941 and 1985, the new church on the corner of Huntington Blvd. and First St. grew into what it is today.

First Armenian Presbyterian church has changed in many ways over the past 120 years and will most likely continue to change as the years go on. The church will always be a fundamental piece of Armenian history in Fresno and is worth visiting at least once.

Anyone interesting in tasting delicious authentic Armenian food should consider attending the next Merchant’s Lunch. Food is available for dine-in, take-out and even drive through. Remember to keep an eye out next November and check their website for updates on the next event.

For more information on local Armenian gatherings, read Grand Armenian Festival celebrates tradition and Armenian author speaks on book, value of remembering the past.

For more articles, read: Teens discuss qualities of a hero or LETTER: Susan Ainley shares campus choral vision.

This author can be reached via twitter @Jacob_Avedian and via email: Jacob Avedian.