Style Session No. 7 – Wants, Needs and a Sick Closet

When I had my 39th birthday, I started thinking about turning 40 the following year. I jokingly said to my husband, “I can’t believe I’ll be 40 next year. We should celebrate in Paris!” And like any good husband should, he said, “Okay.”

So we planned and saved for a year and went to Paris. It was magical. I love all things French, and being there just confirmed what I already know deep in my heart – I belong in Paris.

[/media-credit] One of the highlights of the trip was our visit to 31 Rue Cambon – the original Chanel boutique, with Coco Chanel’s apartment upstairs.

One of the highlights of the trip was our visit to 31 Rue Cambon – the original Chanel boutique, with Coco Chanel’s apartment upstairs. While I drooled over all the amazing clothes (those boucle suits! those quilted handbags!), I thought how nice it would be to buy something (anything!) from there as a memento of our trip. But since I live in reality and have a reality-based budget, I had to accept just being there as memento enough.

Do you sometimes feel like your life (or at least your wardrobe) would be complete if you just had that one item – that one special article of clothing, or the latest sneakers, or that designer handbag? It’s almost as if not having that one thing we want negates all the other things we do have.

A few days ago I woke up as usual, went through my routine morning tasks, and while I was brushing my teeth,

[/media-credit] An unexpected sight greeted me: my closet had thrown up.

opened my closet door to figure out what to wear. An unexpected sight greeted me: my closet had thrown up.

Obviously, I love fashion. And although I dislike shopping, I also dislike throwing things away. The contents of my closet have been slowly multiplying and both rods were crammed with clothes. In desperation, I had been hanging clothes on my garment steamer (so uncivilized!). It couldn’t take the weight anymore and threw itself at my mercy.

I had to laugh because, despite a closet full of clothes, I tend to wear the same 20-25 items over and over again. Don’t we all?

It was a very distinct visual reminder that I need to be thankful for all I have – above and beyond any “need” I could ever pine for. Even a need for Chanel.

Happy Thanksgiving!

~ Silva

For the last style session, read Style Session No. 6 – Swinging Monkeys

If you have questions or topics you’d like to see addressed in this blog, please email me at [email protected]. You can read more from me at www.onmyshoebox.com.