‘A Nutcracker Like No Other’ includes campus students

Break the Barriers performing arts department hosts holiday special

[/media-credit] Campus six-grade student Jenna Obwald is performing along with her two siblings, seventh-grade sister, Kirra Obwald, right, and brother Cohl Obwald, ninth-grade, in Break the Barriers’ Nutcracker, Dec. 1-3.

Break the Barriers’ performing arts department presents ‘A Nutcracker Like No Other’ at the Mercedes Edwards Theater. The production will take place in Clovis, running from Dec. 1-3. Alongside Break the Barriers’ participants, several Fresno Christian students will be performing as well.

With skilled ballerinas and aerialists, Break the Barriers’ International Performing Team performs with beautifully designed props and sets, and the special inclusion of local Veteran heroes.

This year, Dave and Erin Obwald’s older children will be participating. They attend the American Sign Language (ASL) class at Break the Barriers (BTB), and are therefore an integral part of the Nutcracker presentation this December.

Since junior high, FCS mom Erin Obwald has been in consistent contact with BTB founders Deby and Steve Hergenrader. She grew up with their children, who now help run Fresno’s Break the Barriers.

Steve Hergenrader, Chief Officer at Break the Barriers, praises the uniqueness of the Nutcracker program. Children with down-syndrome, missing body parts, speech impediments, and other disabilities will be performing on stage, incorporating the gymnastics moves they learned.

Whereas the professional version of the Nutcracker requires pristine movements, the BTB version includes people from all backgrounds, alternating the dances and movements to fit the kids’ situation. Anyone who is in dance class, the veteran’s program, and even coaches will be participating. Keith emphasizes that the diversity creates a natural, heartwarming, and fulfilling presentation.

Erin Obwald works backstage as a helper, appreciates the diversity within the cast.

“I knew once my kids got old enough, I wanted them to be in activities in this sort of inclusive environment for children where everyone is valued with every ability,” Erin said. “My involvement now includes helping backstage during the Nutcracker at all of the shows. I can’t help but tear up every single time I see any performance by Break The Barriers because of the value that they put on people with varying abilities and disabilities. Everyone has a place. Everyone has worth!”

[/media-credit] Despite her stress fracture in her right foot that is currently in a cast, Jenna Obwald will perform in the Nutcracker while sitting in a wheelchair.

Sixth-grade Jenna Obwald is one of three siblings involved with the Nutcracker this week.

“I’m performing four times each show, doing dance ballet,” campus sixth-grade student Jenna Obwald said. “I’m in the snow scene, the Chinese and angel scenes. And, I’m also in the sign language portion of the show. The sign language explains what the whole Nutcracker show is all about at the beginning of the show before the ballet and dance begins. There are eight of us signing and I am the main character of the signing part.”

Jenna is performing along with her two siblings, sister Kirra Obwald, seventh-grade, and brother Cohl Obwald, ninth-grade, in the Nutcracker. All three Obwald kids participate in the sign language portion of the show as well as along with FCS sixth-grader Braelyn Riffel. 

Break the Barriers mission statement affirms awareness and victories of all abilities, ethnicities, and ages through exceptional programs, outreach, and inclusion education. Erin Obwald understands the benefits this organization offers.

“Our family and my children have benefited far beyond what I could’ve imagined by being involved it Break the Barriers,” Erin said. “We have since adopted two children with special needs who also attend Fresno Christian and I am so thankful that my older kids have the eyes to see beyond outward appearances because of their exposure to and friendships with people of all cultures, shapes, sizes and abilities.

“When asked if Jenna could perform,” Erin continued, “Break the Barrier’s answer was something to the effect of ‘of course she can participate, we will just have her in a wheelchair’. As a mom to have something that your child has worked so hard on and wants so much, and then have an injury just before only to realize that she can still participate is priceless.”

[/media-credit] Campus sixth-grade student Braelyn Riffel dances in the Nutcracker as Clara during the Dec. 2016 Break the Barriers production. This year she is a snowflake, a butterfly and a Chinese dancer.

This story is played out in Jenna’s life as a result of a gymnastics accident two years ago. She has smashed growth plates in her heel, ankle & big toe (left foot). Her stress fracture in her right foot is currently in a cast, keeping her in the wheelchair while performing during the Nutcracker.

Cohl Obwald enjoys participating in the event, and said he utilizes his sign language knowledge to communicate with his sisters at home. All three siblings take sign classes every Monday at Break the Barriers. While they did learn and memorize most of the signing from last year’s Nutcracker, they did learn a few words for this year’s show.

‘A Nutcracker Like No Other’ show times are Dec. 1 at 6:30 p.m., Dec. 2 at 2 p.m. and two shows on Dec. 3: 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. Tickets are $15 presale and $20 at the door. The Mercedes Edwards Theater is at 902 5th Street, Clovis, CA 93612. For more information, visit the Break the Barriers website.

For more articles, read: Let’s Talk: Depression and Fresno pre-Christmas celebrations as well as Christmas Tree Lane prepares for holiday season.

This author can be reached via email and Twitter.