PROMO: Student leadership hosts annual stuffed animal drive

Annual stuffed animal drive has arrived, in the past, students bring stuffed animals and enjoy Christmas movie at the end of the semester, Dec. 2.

Students donate to Valley Children’s Healthcare patients

For the fifth year in a row, Fresno Christian will host a stuffed animal drive and Pajama Day, Dec. 15. Stuffed animals brought in will be donated to Valley Children’s Healthcare. These stuffed animals will be given to patients that go through an operation or surgery. Used or dollar store stuffed animals will not be accepted.

[/media-credit] Students who donate a stuffed animal will receive a complimentary Popeye’s lunch, courtesy of student leadership.

Robert Foshee, the student leadership advisor, expresses why FC does the stuffed animal drive.

“We have chosen different places earlier we have been with Valley Children’s Hospital to provide stuffed animals,” Foshee said. “They do a really good job out there of providing a stuffed animal for kids that have surgery and it’s a scary thing when you are five, six or seven years old in a new place. It is something comfortable and familiar so we can partner with them to help these kids out.”

Angelica Escalera ‘19, donated a stuffed animal last year. Escalera shares how much fun it was to participate.

“The stuffed animals are going to people to raise their spirits and make them happy,” Escalera said. “It was a really fun time last year. I like how you get to watch a movie and you also get free food which is also a bonus.”

Planning to donate a stuffed animal, Samantha Portale ‘21, encourages other students to give to the drive.

“I don’t see a reason why not to participate since a bear is only 10 or 15 dollars,” Portale said. “You are making a little kid happy when they are in a dark place. I just don’t see why not, and if that is not a good enough reason then you get free food when you donate.”

The deadline for the stuffed animal drive is on Pajama Day, Dec. 15. Student leadership encourages the student body to make a donation and support the drive for pediatric patients at Valley Children’s Healthcare. 

For more articles, read Firefighters battle CalFire Wildfires and PROMO: Garces soccer tournament returns, Dec. 15-16.

This author can be reached via twitter @TheJacobHyatt and via email: Jacob Hyatt.