EDITORIAL: Teens should refrain from getting tattoos

Adolescents should avoid tattoos, marking their body

[/media-credit] Students are not allowed to display tattoos while on campus, however the school can’t forbid students from getting them.

Dress code tells students what is deemed appropriate and inappropriate to wear to school. Students who ignore posted dress code policies face consequences for violating school policies. At the beginning of each school year, high school students sign an agreement with their school to abide by the rules and regulations that dictate campus behavior. One rule in particular some students struggle with is tattoos. Teens should abstain from permanently marking their bodies as their decision making abilities have not fully developed.

The removal of tattoos is expensive and their are often health implications. Also, tattoos could potentially keep students from entering certain career fields. Despite the fact that some seniors are old enough to get a tattoo, it would not be a responsible decision to do so.

What may seem like colorful expressive art to one person can be seen as a waste of money and cancerous to another. Tattoos have branded the world for thousands of years. These permanent symbols and signs serve as declarations of love, status symbols and even religious beliefs. Although tattoos were looked upon as taboo a few decades ago, today they are the cultural norm.

Despite this, there are some organizations, such as businesses, that discourage their employees from getting or displaying tattoos. Teenagers and young adults should consider the repercussions of getting them, especially if they are unsure of what career path they are going to take. 

According to BusinessInsider.com, there are currently no states that have laws protecting people with tattoos from discrimination in the workplace. This means, that while some businesses may not care whether or not their employees have tattoos, they could refuse to hire someone based on their tattoos alone.

[/media-credit] Tattoos can often have religious or personal implications.

The tattoo policy is different for many schools around America. Some allow students to display them if they are not gang-related or inappropriate. Others require students to cover them up completely.

At Fresno Christian, the dress code denies students the freedom to display them. They must be covered at all times. If students refuse to comply to this rule multiple times, they are subject to a one-day suspension. While this rule discourages most students from getting tattoos, students still have the choice to get them.

Christian schools do not want to promote the display of tattoos for the sake of their philosophy and statement. The institutions do not want to risk allowing students to show some deemed inappropriate.

What do you think about Christian schools’ policy on tattoos? Do you wish they were different? Let us know in the comments below!

For more editorials, read EDITORIAL: Avoid commercialism of Christmas.