Feather blog spotlight: My teachers – Joey Huang

Senior Joey Huang shares her experiences with AP biology teacher Dr. Karen Walters. For Huang’s previous blog, read Feather blog spotlight: My Youth- Joey Huang.

[/media-credit] Many who know Dr. Karen Walters, left, know she loves Huang for her adventurous personality and child-like courage.

In the blink of an eye, my high school life is coming to an end. Throughout the three years at Fresno Christian, I have been blessed with such supportive peers and such amazing faculty. My life certainly would not be the same without them. Starting now, I will dedicate my blog to those whom I love dearly, and share with you their stories.

The first time ever visiting the school, I went straight to the science lab. When I opened the door, I found a brunette lady in a black Eagles shirt looking at me from behind the desk, with a warm, bright smile on her face. Her blue eyes sparkled with knowledge inside, flashing through those glasses.

I no longer remember what we talked about, but this Ph.D., who smiles like a kid, has become my most beloved teacher, mentor and friend.

Born in the state of New York, Dr. Karen Walters grew up in a family of engineers. She has been interested in science since a very young age, and her wish to become a veterinary drove her to apply to one of the most selective institutions, Cornell University. She got into Cornell, only to realize that she did not want to become a veterinarian.

After graduating, she became a successful businesswoman in New York for a couple of years. Her thirst for knowledge led her back to the graduate programs in University of California, Davis, where she earned her doctoral degree in physiology. It was God’s plans for her that she settled in the Central Valley of California and that she would be able to “educate the younger generation of science without having to deny God’s existence”.

Science to us is a toy; knowledge is the water to our brain drought. Without her (Dr. Walters’) help, I could not think of any other way that I could have so much fun in studying what seems like a bitter topic to others, nor would I be able to have such easy access to the knowledge and opportunities. — Joey Huang

For five years, Dr. Walters has dedicated herself to the science department of Fresno Christian as the instructor for high school biology, AP biology and zoology. She holds the belief that “Science is not against God”, and continuously enlightens FCS students with knowledge of God’s creations.

Over the years, Dr. Walters and I have bonded over countless in-class and after-school hours of hanging out in the science lab. We would get into discussions, sometimes arguments, about why DNA is acidic, why Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis (PAGE) for protein is to be done vertically while normal gel electrophoresis for DNA can be done lying flat. We talked about Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and attempted to fix our old malfunctioning thermocycler.

Everyone who knows Dr. Walters loves her for her adventurous personality and child-like courage. We are a dream team, a Ph.D. who has professional knowledge, resources and provides “adult supervision,” and a teenager who has fearless spirit, enormous curiosity and a strong affection for science.

[/media-credit] Huang and Dr. Walters share a passion for science and knowledge.

Science to us is a toy; knowledge is the water to our brain drought. Without her help, I could not think of any other way that I could have so much fun in studying what seems like a bitter topic to others, nor would I be able to have such easy access to the knowledge and opportunities. Others surely relate to this as well.

The one thing Dr. Walters wishes her students to know is that, even as a teacher, she’s still learning, from God, from life and from her students. Empowered by knowledge, enriched by faith in God, she guards us on the path towards greater intelligence.

“Science is a fascinating field that is often misunderstood to be against Christianity, but that is not true,” Walters said. “God created the knowledge, and the study of science is simply the human effort to understand God’s wonder.” 

My high school years are so much more wonderful because of this teacher who is always genuine and kind, and I was so blessed to have such a powerful positive influence in my life. Just as Doctor always says, “Go for it!” Whatever it is that you want to do, do it with confidence and intrepidness, because you know those who love you will always be by your side.

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.”

Psalm 32:8

For more blogs, read: Style Session No. 10- Statement Piece. For other articles, read: Students refine talents and share stories through artistic pieces.