Style Session No. 11 – Mall Malcontent

I read last week that a second H&M store will open this summer at Fashion Fair Mall. The first one opened at River Park in 2014. I’m not a fan of fast fashion and I don’t think I fit the store’s demographic, so I’ve only been in the River Park store a handful of times. But it must be doing well if they’re opening a second location.

[/media-credit] I read last week that a second H&M store will open this summer at Fashion Fair Mall. The first one opened at River Park in 2014.

This news reminded me of something. We have a mall. It’s called Fashion Fair. I honestly haven’t been to the mall since, well, I don’t even remember. I guess I don’t shop at any of the stores there, nor do I need to get anything for anyone else from there.

Oh wait, I remember now. Two Christmases ago I took my boys to Fashion Fair and we rang the bell for the Salvation Army outside of Macy’s. But I didn’t go there to shop!

I have an aversion to malls. Obviously I grew up going to malls, but more importantly, I worked at a mall for four years – from the beginning of my senior year in high school until the beginning of my senior year in college. I have to admit it was fun. I enjoyed the discount I got and there was always something to do, so I was never bored. But the hours were long and I worked almost every holiday – the mall never closes!

That was a long time ago, but I can’t help remembering that job every time I walk into a mall. As much as I love fashion, I don’t really love to shop, so I avoid malls anyway. I prefer smaller boutiques where you can talk to the owner and get individualized service as well as unique clothing.

[/media-credit] Fast fashion is not for everyone. Neither is the mall.

My favorite store in Fresno, where I did 90% of my clothes shopping, closed a couple of years ago. I’m still mourning that loss. Misc. Trading Co. was a specialty vintage shop in downtown Fresno where I found one-of-a-kind pieces. It was a place that made our city unique. And now it’s gone and I have nowhere left to find distinctive clothes and I’m still devastated about it.

I’m not much of an online shopper, either. I prefer to touch and feel the things I will wear. I want to try them on and make sure they fit properly. And I want to bring them home right away; I don’t want to wait for them to arrive at my door.

When I get the urge to shop, I think about where I can find the specific things I need. I don’t want to waste my time. I make a bee-line for that particular store, get in, get what I need, and get out. I make sure the things I buy are well made and that I love each item I purchase. If I’m iffy about it, I put it back.

Where do you like to shop? Do you have a go-to store or a favorite boutique? And if it’s at Fashion Fair, I promise I won’t hold it against you. Just don’t make me go there.

~ Silva

For my last blog, read Style Session No. 10 – Statement Piece.

If you have questions or topics you’d like to see addressed in this blog, please email me at [email protected]. You can read more from me at www.onmyshoebox.com.