EDITORIAL: Dating builds relationship skills, maturity

Teens benefit from dating in high school

[/media-credit] Dating helps teens learn more about the person they are with, and also more about themselves.

The term ‘dating’ has come to mean a variety of things over the past several decades. The Feather defines dating as a commitment between a male and a female, where the two connect emotionally, learning more about each other and themselves. Students should date in high school to invest in others, learn more about themselves, develop personal skills and maturity while forming a trusting support system with another person.

Long term dating can possibly be detrimental to young couples if they only focus on each other and isolate themselves from the rest of the campus. However, teens can successfully maintain a long term relationship when they allow each to mingle with friends.

Relationships can be both helpful and harmful to a person, and it is difficult to give advice on matters such as relationships because they vary from person to person. According to an article about raising awareness for teen dating, NY.gov said that some of the foundations of a healthy relationship are trust, boundaries and communication.

As soon as teens begin to date, they should establish what morals and beliefs they hold. Setting boundaries or ‘rules’ early on in the relationship will help build trust and form a healthy relationship.

Students who date in high school must make sure to form healthy relationships with each other. If the couple truly wants to have a chance together, they must work with each other and be willing to admit their own flaws or shortcomings while working together to overcome them.

According to ChildTrends.org, fewer teens in high school are dating now than there were in the 1990s. The traditional view of dating is slowly being replaced with a trivialized, casual and sexual approach that discourages teens from investing and forming relationships with each other. — Feather staff

Although some may argue that dating in high school is too young, it is better for students to be able to spot a healthy or unhealthy relationship when they are young. Dating will give students insight into what types of personalities mesh with their own, and in turn, which ones do not.

[/media-credit] Teens can learn valuable life lessons from dating and should not feel discouraged from doing so.

Emotionally connecting with another on a deeper level helps develop conversational and social skills. Students who learn to invest in others in a healthy manner report higher levels of confidence and self esteem, according to an article published by Child Trends.

According to ChildTrends.org, fewer teens in high school are dating now than there were in the 1990s. The traditional view of dating is slowly being replaced with a trivialized, casual and sexual approach that discourages teens from investing and forming relationships with each other.

Students should engage in a healthy and constructive boyfriend-girlfriend relationship to learn valuable social skills and prepare themselves for dating later in life. Although it is unlikely that the young couple will continue to date after high school, they will still learn a valuable lesson from the experience.

What is your opinion on dating in high school? Let us know by commenting below. 

For more editorials, read The importance and value of homework for students and California on the edge of another drought.