Sibling Series: Alina, Makayla and Joseph Davila

The Davila Siblings

This is the third in a series of articles entitled ‘Sibling Series’. Follow The Feather for more articles in the series as they are published. For the most recent one, read about Mackenzie and Taylor Beckworth.

[/media-credit] Left to right, Alina, ’19, Makayla, ’22 and Joseph, ’27, all attend FC.

Siblings often enjoy doing many different activities together and at the end of the day, are usually grateful to have a built-in best friend despite potential age gaps. From watching movies and singing along to Disney songs, the Davila siblings love spending time together.

Alina Davila, ‘19, competes in tennis, basketball, softball, and performs with both choir, Bellezza ensemble, and worship team. Makayla Davila, ‘22, excels at volleyball, basketball, and softball. While youngest sibling, Joseph Davila, ‘27, plays the recorder. The grade differences keep them from playing sports together and being involved in the same school events. But these three share a love for Disney, supporting each other and the school.

The Davila family currently have three out of five kids enrolled at FC. Juliette Davila recently graduated from FC in the class of 2017. The eldest sibling Katerina Cantú never attended.

Parents Kathy and David Davila appreciate having all three kids attend. Kathy can see only positivity with all three attending the same school.

“I love having all three children at FCS because they get to ride all together to school,” Kathy said. “The younger children have their older siblings to look up to and know that if they need someone, they can go to their siblings. I can’t think of any cons, only pros of having them on the same campus. I have seen their spiritual growth since they started attending FCS. Chapel along with their bible classes has had a positive influence in all their lives. We feel blessed our children can learn academically while worshipping and serving God daily.”

Kathy enjoys watching as they grow in their relationships, look out for each other and have each other’s backs.

“My favorite part of their relationship is the fact that they are forever friends,” Kathy said. “They don’t need to worry about peer pressure because they have each other to support and cheer on,” Kathy said. “I have enjoyed watching them become closer to each other and seeing them support each other at their sporting events or music performances. I love to see how they protect each other as well, always looking out for the other. I’m very grateful to the staff at FC for their part in helping us raise God-fearing children.”

According to the siblings they are all very competitive, stubborn and all love to be right. But they still love to spend time together, especially watching movies. Makayla notes that despite them arguing over who is right, they always make up afterward.

“We all always try to be right, so we fight sometimes,” Makayla said. “But we always make up afterward. I can trust my siblings no matter what because they’re my best friends. Friends can’t always keep secrets, but siblings can, and my siblings will always be there for me no matter what.”

Alina holds a similar view and enjoys catching up with her siblings while always having someone there for her.

“We bond by just talking to each other and catching each other up on what’s going on in our lives,” Alina said. “We all like to be right, so it causes arguments, but in the end, we always make up and everything’s restored. I’ll always have a friend and someone who loves me. They will always be there for me, they can’t leave.”

I love having all three children at FCS because they get to ride all together to school. The younger children have their older siblings to look up to and know that if they need someone, they can go to their siblings. I can’t think of any cons, only pros of having them on the same campus. I have seen their spiritual growth since they started attending FCS. — Kathy Davila

All three relish sports and employing their competitive natures. However, they do not get a chance to compete against or with each other at school so they do so at home.

“At home, we like to compete with each other but at school we don’t see each other a lot but we know that they’re there,” Joseph said.

Makayla has two junior high championship under her belt after not yet even two years at FC, one in volleyball and softball, respectively. She believes she is the most competitive out of the three.

“I think I am the most competitive because I will make the littlest thing a competition,” Makayla said. “I care a lot about winning and I am super aggressive. We talk a lot about everything and I think practicing sports helps us get closer. We are super close, just like best friends.”

Hannah Villines, ’21, is a close friend of the Davila family. Villines appreciates how competitive and caring they are.

[/media-credit] Makayla, left, and Alina, right, compete in many campus sports  including volleyball, softball and basketball.

“One of my favorite parts about the Davila siblings relationship is probably how unbelievable competitive they all are,” Villines said. “Even though it can sometimes get a bit out of hand, it is usually super entertaining. I love each one of them so much and I appreciate so many things about them, but I think the main thing has to be how they are all so accepting and caring when I first met them. Each one of them has definitely taught a lot individually, and most of the things are hard to explain and put into words, but they are all near and dear to my heart.”

All three, as well as the rest of the family, love Disney; the movies, the songs and Disneyland. Joseph sees it as a shared experience they can enjoy together.

“We love to sing so we’re able to bond over that,” Joseph said. “We watched Disney movies and listened to its music our whole lives growing up. Disneyland especially brings us together.”

Although the Davila siblings do not get to see each other much at school, they find other ways to connect, through sports, anything Disney related or even just spending time together. They have found common interests to keep them connected and look forward to walking through life together.

For more sibling series, read Mackenzie and Taylor Beckworth and Danielle and Madilyn Foster.

This author can be reached via twitter @toryntriplitt and via email: Toryn Triplitt.