Join the Discussion: Spring break 2018

Campus weighs in on Easter Vacation

Spring Break is next week, March 26 – April 2, and teachers along with students anticipate the time off. Although Easter is historically about celebrating the resurrection of Jesus, retailers have moved the focus to candy and egg hunts. Regardless, many people celebrate Easter in a variety of ways. The Feather Online interviewed a few campus students as what they anticipate doing during the upcoming spring break. This author also encourages others to leave comments at the bottom of this article. Join the discussion.

[/media-credit] Egg hunts and chocolate have become some of the main focuses of Easter instead of the traditional Christ-centered celebration.

Spending time with family
Nate Mount, Senior
March 19, 2018

“My favorite part of Easter is getting to be with all my family. My family lives all over the place and we hardly get to all gather, so it’s really fun. My plans for spring break are to get a lot of rest. I’ve been really busy throughout this semester so it’s something I need to catch up on. I always go to an Easter church service with my family. The reason why I personally celebrate Easter is because as a Christian it signifies that Jesus rose from the dead to be alive again for all to see.”

Baking with loved ones 
Erin Wilson, Senior
March 19, 2018

“I like getting together with my family. We also dye eggs every year, it’s a tradition that I look forward too. We always bake cakes in the shape of a bunny and decorate them to try to make it look as much as bunny’s face as possible. It always ends up really ugly though. I am going to continue filming the N.O.T.S. movie and spend time with family and maybe go on a day trip to the beach.”

Appreciates the significance of Easter
Joey Huang, Senior
March 19, 2018

“I like the break we get and the whole meaning behind Easter. I think I am going to go back to the Bay Area and relax and figure out what I am going to do for college. We usually just have family dinners together and eat chocolate eggs.”

Plans to serve at Breakaway
Alina Davila, Junior
March 19, 2018

“My favorite part of Easter is gathering with my family to go to church and have family time while remembering the resurrection. My spring break plans are to help serve the community in Breakaway! I personally celebrate Easter because as a believer, I believe that Jesus rose again after dying for our sins. My family only has one Easter tradition and that’s decorating eggs and having an Easter egg hunt!”

Celebrating Christ’s sacrifice
Anthony Diaz, Junior
March 19, 2018

“My favorite part is celebrating the fact that Christ died for our sins and the resurrection. I might go to a church camp or work, but I am in the Easter program at my church so that’s something I will be doing for sure. My parents are both worship leaders so they both sing during the whole Easter gathering we sing. We are really involved with our church during Easter.”

Visiting family
Jordan Mazzela, Sophomore
March 19, 2018

“My favorite part of Easter is Easter Sunday because I get to see my brother and we go to church which is really fun. My birthday is over spring break so I will probably just have lunch with my friends and I think we are going to LA to see my brother. Usually we go on a trip or something and spend time with family.”

Food traditions with family
Shauna Howard, Sophomore
March 19, 2018

“My favorite part of Easter is celebrating with friends and family. We always make resurrection rolls on Easter, which are these rolls with marshmallows inside of them and when you bake them the marshmallow disappears as it melts into the role representing the resurrection of Christ. During spring break I usually go to Breakaway which I am going to do again this year.”

Easter egg hunt
Colten Allen, Sophomore
March 19, 2018

“I like setting up now that I am older. I can set all the eggs out rather than go on the hunt, it’s fun to hid the eggs. The whole family always goes to one house, we also have a big egg hunt. I am also going to film for the N.O.T.S. video.”

[/media-credit] With N.O.T.S. coming up some students are planning on filming during the break.

Hanging out with his church at the park
Kyler Garza, Freshman
March 19, 2018

“My favorite part is going out to the park; me and my church usually go out there. We just go out and have a good time, we play baseball and football and have a barbeque. I am really excited for spring break, it’s my birthday and we are going to go to LA and Universal Studios.”

Vacation expectations
Tim Chavez, Freshman
March 19, 2018

“I am going to Universal Studios and that should be fun. I am also going to Monterey Bay to look at the aquarium. We usually go on a vacation of some sort usually to San Francisco. I really like spending time with family and celebrating Jesus coming back to life.”

Church and relaxation
Naty Tewodros, Eighth grade
March 19, 2018

“My favorite part of Easter is spending time with my family and glorifying God. We just hang out and we read the Bible and go to church. I think I am just going to go home and relax.”

Reflect and refresh
Karen Walters, Campus Science Teacher
March 19, 2018

“I like relaxing and remembering what Christ did. Church on Sunday is my favorite because there is always special programs. And that time with family to reflect and enjoy. I am also planning to catch up on sleep and ride my horses.”

What’s your favorite part of easter? Do you have any spring break plans? Share them below in the comment section.

For more articles read, Profile: Alumnus Robbie Hill finds success in theatre and Fresno Residents Reflect On Homeless Crisis, Pt. 2

Vijay Stephen can be reached via Twitter and via email.