EDITORIAL: Pros and cons of a well-rounded student

Students transition to distant learning during the social distancing policy to keep students and staff safe, April 16.

Excelling at one subject more beneficial than being average at many

[/media-credit] Students who over extend themselves across many subjects can hurt their college chances.

As colleges continue to raise their standards for admittance, students are encouraged to be ‘well rounded’ rather than only excelling at one subject. Well rounded students not only focus on academic excellence, but also place an emphasis on athletics, the arts and community service.

However, it can also result in students overextending themselves. For students looking to get into colleges, it is better to excel at one subject than to be average at multiple subjects.

With sports, clubs, academics and personal lives, students sometimes struggle to maintain a balanced schedule. An article published by Ivy Coach states that colleges are not, in fact, seeking well rounded students. Instead, college recruiters are searching for students who excel at a single topic.

However this does not mean that students should only focus on one thing and spend the rest of their time watching television or anything else that is unproductive. Students are still encouraged to be involved on campus, whether it be through sports, student government or another club.

It’s important for students to personally gauge their own levels of personal time and purposeful work. Whereas one student can handle an intense amount of academic work with no personal time, others may need more of a break. Understanding what’s right for you individually ultimately leads to a healthier state of mind. — Feather staff

High school offers opportunities for students to try new things and discover their purpose. Campus clubs such as the California Scholarship Federation, STEM club and Fishing club and others offer students opportunities to engage with others and develop a broader base of interests.

[/media-credit] Each student must find a balance in which they can be both involved on campus, but not strained or stressed with their school work.

So how should students know whether or not to expand their views or experiences by becoming well rounded?

It’s important for students to personally gauge their own levels of personal time and purposeful work. Whereas one student can handle an intense amount of academic work with no personal time, others may need more of a break. Understanding what’s right for an individual ultimately leads to a healthier state of mind.

This balance is relative to the student. While being involved on campus has many benefits, it is not intended for everyone. Each student should find one area where they excel and then afterward decide if they still have enough time and energy to be involved in other activities.

What is your opinion on students being well rounded? Let us know in the comments below.

For more articles, read Marjory Stoneman Douglas student Becca Schneid shares advice after tragedy and Join the Discussion: Spring Break 2018.