Style Session No. 15 – Polka Dots, Pastels and Fanny Packs

As I was reviewing the spring shows to cull the season’s latest trends for you, I realized a couple of things. First, there’s nothing really new under the sun. Most of the themes on the runways weren’t earth-shatteringly innovative. Many of the looks are either recycled trends that pop up every few years or are modernized takes on decades-old patterns and accessories.

[/media-credit] I’m not gonna lie, polka dots make me happy.

Second, there is a good and bad way to wear each trend. You can take something really simple and max it out in a gaudy way, or you can take something pretty out-there and apply it in an edited way that highlights an already-chic style.

Here are a few trends for this spring and summer straight off the runways. Don’t be surprised if you recognize some of them, and before you buy anything new, check your closet first. You probably have at least a couple of items already.

Polka Dots

I’m not gonna lie, polka dots make me happy. From elegant Carolina Herrera to edgy Alexandre Vauthier, polka dots (especially black and white) were all over the fall runways. They are fun and playful. I currently own a polka dot trench coat that I wear with everything. It’s a very versatile pattern.

Fringe

You might associate fringe with the Wild West, but it’s actually more common than you’d think. Fringe is usually found on leather jackets or hobo bags, but it can also be elevated to sequin gowns. If you don’t want to commit that deeply, look for tassel earrings or a shredded tee.

[/media-credit] Fringe isn’t just for the Wild West.

Asymmetry

Asymmetry can be wonky when done wrong but super fun when done right. You typically see an asymmetrical hem on a skirt or sundress, but newer this season are asymmetrical necklines. If you see a top that wraps around your neck or shoulders or has a cool zig zag at the collarbone, snatch it up to be on trend this season.

Pastels

We just celebrated Easter so you probably saw lots of pastels at church, but it’s not just for little kids anymore. Pastels can be a much softer and warmer look for spring and summer. To keep it more modern and less Easter-eggy, pick out a sweatshirt in the new it-color lavender or a powder blue dress with puffed shoulders.

Fanny Packs

I so didn’t want to share this trend, but it has been all over the runways from Tokyo to Milan. Thankfully these aren’t the fanny packs our parents wore in the 1980s! You can pick out a sporty version, a super-small minimal pack, or wear it slung diagonally. Let’s just call them belt bags so I can sleep better at night.

~ Silva

If you have questions or topics you’d like to see addressed in this blog, please email me at [email protected]. You can read more from me at www.onmyshoebox.com.