COLUMN: Erin Wilson discusses leadership roles

Senior shares struggles, benefits of ASB

Senior Erin Wilson was elected the ASB Chaplain at the beginning of the 2017-18 school year. Wilson has attended FC since the 8th grade and was in high school leadership all four years. She is planning on attending Fresno State in the fall and majoring in secondary education.

[/media-credit] ASB Chaplain, Erin Wilson, ’18, shares personal struggles her role includes.

When I realized Chaplain was a position and it was something I would be interested in, I immediately got worried because I had not grown up going to Sunday school. Additionally, I had not really gotten strong in my faith until the year before. I felt like I was not Christian enough or that people would see right through my inexperience.

I quickly realized however that I was completely capable of holding this position, and the only reason I felt uncomfortable or unsure of myself was because I was being challenged. I had always heard the only time you are comfortable is when you are no longer moving forward.

Recognizing I will never feel worthy of anything as long as I allow the opinions of my peers to determine my confidence, I started to find my own confidence in scripture. Whenever overwhelmed by leadership responsibilities, I would cling to 2 Corinthians 12:9. This verse talked of boasting about our weaknesses, rather than being ashamed. Because His power is made perfect in weakness, this verse made it easier for me take on a new set of challenges I would face as Chaplain.

With this new set of opportunities ahead of me, I made many mistakes. This year we focused very heavily on serving others and putting others opinions higher than our own. And I have to say, this was a very hard shift for me to make. I have always been comfortable with giving up things for others, however when it came to valuing their opinions as more important than mine I struggled.

When planning events it is hard to surrender what you want for what the class may want. Once something is decided by the class, no matter if you agree or not, you must support it and work to make it as successful as possible. I may not agree with past NOTS or homecoming themes, but still needed to work hard on them.

In leadership we were once thinking of changing the student section name from The Nuthouse to something else, which I did not agree with at all. My immediate reaction was to argue with them and try to convince them I was correct. This did not turn out well because all I ended up doing was creating tension in the class and silencing their voice which they were there to bring.

Recognizing I will never feel worthy of anything as long as I allow the opinions of my peers to determine my confidence, I started to find my own confidence in scripture. Whenever overwhelmed by leadership responsibilities, I would cling to 2 Corinthians 12:9. This verse talked of boasting about our weaknesses, rather than being ashamed. Because His power is made perfect in weakness, this verse made it easier for me take on a new set of challenges I would face as Chaplain. — Erin Wilson, ASB Chaplain

I would find myself driven to achieve my goal or my plan and disregarding what others may want. Something that finally helped me was the leadership class verse for this year: Philippians 2:3-4. We would read the verse before every meeting, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”

In leadership, our purpose is to serve the other students. If there is ever a decision to be made between what is good for us and what is good for them, we put them first.

Leadership and ASB is a great opportunity for students to make a difference on campus. We have a unique position to serve our school and enjoy it while doing it. If you like to have fun and serve the student body, then you should join leadership.

For more guest columns, check out COLUMN: Jake Provost shares college choice tips and COLUMN: High School Musical, curiosity drives international AmeriStudent. For more on Wilson, read PROFILE: Erin Wilson proves determination, leadership.

Wilson can be reached via email.