COLUMN: Roman Endicott reminds readers to ‘live in the present’

Senior and student body president Roman Endicott contributes a monthly column as part of his leadership commitment to his peers.

[/media-credit] Roman Endicott encourages students to live in the present.

Earlier this week during English, college advisor Evangelina Tello came into our classroom to remind us about various upcoming college deadlines, including the community college workshop on April 17 and the intent to enroll statement by May 1.

She does this on a relatively regular basis so it was no surprise to me when she walked in. All of us gave her our attention and she started discussing the upcoming dates for the SAT and ACT deadlines and reminded us to register soon.

Immediately, I had an “oh yeah, I need to do that,” moment and I took note of how I should put a reminder in my phone after class. After a few seconds, however, I remembered I had already taken the SAT twice and been accepted into college. While I did feel a bit foolish for a bit after thinking this, it did help me to realize a few things.

First, I have done a rather poor job of living in the present this year. Now, there are two sides on the spectrum for this issue, and both can bear an equal amount of consequence as the other.

I would encourage everyone to have at least 5­-10 minutes of the day dedicated to processing and reflecting how everything throughout the day made you feel. It would even be a great idea to keep a journal so you can look back and remember! — Roman Endicott, ’18

Whether it’s cramming for a neglected exam or throwing together a last minute paper, we have all been there at one point or another. We have faced the repercussions of misusing our time. For some reason, it is very easy to give our future selves a giant slap in the face and pour our homework and responsibilities onto them.

This is a prime example of not utilizing our present and disregarding the future. In order to use our present more effectively, we must be productive and accomplish what is right in front of us. I gave some tips in my last article on this topic.

[/media-credit] ASB president Roman Endicott speaks in front of the student body during a rally.

The other, and equally as dangerous, side of the spectrum I would like to highlight, is the side of worrying too much about the future, instead of too little. It is so easy for me to get caught up in all of the stress of college and homework that I forget to enjoy the day placed before me.

At the beginning of the year, my advice was to make the most of every opportunity, which I still stand by today. Over the course of this year, though, I have learned an additional way to cultivate general satisfaction in everyday life. I have learned the importance of letting myself slow down and soak the day in, of sitting back so it can ALL sink in. Otherwise the small things in life will fly right by, gone and unappreciated.

I would encourage everyone to have at least 5­-10 minutes of the day dedicated to processing and reflecting how everything throughout the day made you feel. It would even be a great idea to keep a journal so you can look back and remember!

“You who are young, be happy while you are young, and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment.” Ecclesiastes 11:9

For more articles, read COLUMN: Roman Endicott offers homework advice or Choirs take New York City: Part 1.