MCC Relief Sale provides aid to impoverished countries

Visitors contribute to organization’s cause by buying merchandise

[/media-credit] The West Coast Mennonite Relief Sale aims to raise money for impoverished nations. The MCC sells items such as quilts to raise money for their cause.

Providing aid and money to impoverished countries all over the world, the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) strives to share God’s love and compassion through relief, development and peace. The organization put on their annual West Coast Mennonite Relief Sale at Fresno Pacific University, which raises over $200,000 for their cause, April 6-7.

MCC is a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches that started in the 1920s, when a famine in Russia caused Mennonites to collect supplies to help others. This organization has grown immensely by spreading to countries all over the world.

For a time, MCC solely depended on donations to fund their cause. But in the 1960s, MCC decided a sale could increase donations. Now, the sales the organization receives help them to carry out their mission.

Working as an MCC volunteer in Indonesia, Claire Ann Ruth-Heffelbower enjoys helping out with the organization and appreciates what it stands for.

“I think it’s the most wonderful service organization there is,” Ruth-Heffelbower said. “MCC benefits us (here in Fresno) by providing an avenue for us to be involved in service and to be aware of needs around the rest of the world. MCC gives us an opportunity to do what Jesus calls us to do to serve those in need to care for the poor and work for justice.”

In a tweet, the MCC thanked supporters for visiting the event.

During the event, vendors create classic food like BBQ, ethnic foods and their famous zwieback. German bread made on campus, the baked goods are a fan favorite of the relief sale.

Bret Nicholson worked in the zwieback booth by helping put trays of dough in freezers and ovens. He enjoys the atmosphere and the chance to see familiar faces.

“I have eaten zwieback before and I think it’s delicious,” Nicholson said. “One of the most fun parts about this event is that it brings everyone together. You see lots of people that you might not run into otherwise so it’s fun to see them and connect with them.”

To help MCC raise money, different shops are set up, selling items such as handmade crafts, used books and quilts. Tagua, a nonprofit organization, purchases fair trade products and sells them in Fresno, creating a market for low-income artisans around the world. Many of their items are handcrafted, and once purchased, provide an income for the family that made them.

[/media-credit] Zwieback, a German bread which is made on campus, is a local favorite at the bake sale.

Sue Kincaid works as chair of the board of directors for Tagua and strongly believes in supporting third world countries such as Africa, Bangladesh and Gona.

“What we are doing really makes a difference for real people and real families. We hear about stories, we watch videos, and we see that the sale of these goods actually brings income to people that need it. I love watching people working together but also all the cool products that we get to see, buy and sell. And then seeing people get excited that what they’re buying actually makes a difference so it’s not just something to accumulate.”

One of the biggest ways the sale earns their funds is through the quilt auction and silent auction. With over 200 handmade quilts up for bid, the auction gives people the opportunity to not only purchase a warm blanket but also further contribute to MCC’s cause.

Former elementary principal Pat Unruh helped sew squares for the quilts in the auction. Not only did Unruh contribute to making the quilts, but she also runs the zwieback booth, works for Togua and is on the MCC Relief Sale board of directors.

“I belong to the quilting group of North Fresno,” Unruh said. “I helped make some of them (quilts). I don’t piece them together, but I like to do the hand quilting which is very tedious for some people but it’s relaxing for me.

[/media-credit] Fresno Pacific University hosts the fundraiser, which annually raises about $200,000.

“I don’t mind wearing myself out for one weekend to do all this,” Unruh continued. “I do fair trade (Togua) as well because it’s like giving people not only a handout but a hand up because it helps people establish businesses and recover so they can have a life that is productive. I also like seeing the people every year you see only once a year; catching up and encouraging them, however I can.”

MCC is grateful to those who are interested in service. MCC’s work is continually made possible by the people who choose to others in need “In the name of Christ.” To find out more about volunteering for MCC, go to their website.

For more articles, check out The pros and cons of taking an AP class and Singing in the Big Apple, campus choirs take New York.

This author can be reached via email: Kamryn Schultz.