EDITORIAL: The importance of online safety

With today’s Net Neutrality laws Federal Commission Communication decision, web use costs are likely to rise and speed connections may be an issue. The Feather Online staff will continue to monitor the situation.

Safety tips for internet users

[/media-credit] As more people gain access to the internet, it is important to learn basic safety tips.

Since childhood, most people are taught basic safety lessons, such as being careful around strangers or staying away from roads or highways. But what are people taught about internet safety? The internet plays a large role in almost all areas of society. In today’s world, keeping yourself safe and aware online is one of the most crucial things you can do.

Unfortunately, it is not always easy to spot scam accounts online. Many scammers pose as regular people, or even take the identity of people you know, on platforms such as social media.

To avoid falling victim to scammers or online stalkers, only post things you are comfortable with everyone seeing. Even if an account is on private, there are still ways for people to hack into it and view the posts.

What you post is available for all to see. Therefore, do not post pictures or tweet things you would not be comfortable with anyone seeing.

Complicated passwords for accounts are a must for those looking to keep their social media or online bank accounts secure. Refrain from using the same password for all of your accounts. To ensure you do not forget these, keep a hard copy written down of usernames and passwords somewhere safe and secure. — Feather staff

Avoid posting personal information such as your address and consider waiting to post a vacation picture until you get home. If people online see you are not at home, they see a potentially available target.

Complicated passwords for accounts are a must for those looking to keep their social media or online bank accounts secure. Refrain from using the same password for all of your accounts.

[/media-credit] Changing passwords regularly can keep accounts secure from hackers.

To ensure you do not forget these, keep a hard copy written down of usernames and passwords somewhere safe and secure.

Other ways to keep online accounts safe are refraining from using public Wi-Fi, having an updated anti-virus software and changing the account password periodically.

Most online banking accounts are protected by firewalls and others alert systems that keep accounts secure. However, it is still important to follow these tips, especially when dealing with money.

Do you believe online accounts are secure? Let us know in the comments below.

For more editorials, read Are video games leading to violence? and Standing in the face of adversity.