LETTER: Andrea Donaghe shares passion, reason for teaching

What I Teach, Who I’ve Taught, Why I Teach

[/media-credit] Andrea Donaghe shares her experience as a high school English teacher.

I had a wonderful English teacher my senior year-Mr. Kasparian. He is the reason I decided to teach English, and I was really good at it. 

I love my job even when it is hard…and it can be.

My weekends are not always mine-I have to share them with grading, lesson planning, responding to emails, putting in grades and re-reading novels…but it is worth it. 

My oldest student is now 28 years old.

I have students that are now grown women working in Texas as part of NASA, men that have served our country in Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran. I have a student that is part of the President of the United States Cannon Crew, have received their Masters Degrees, married with kids, working at Twitter, Amazon and working or starring in television and movies. 

I have been involved of lock downs, witnessed a fire burning down a classroom, been mistreated by parents and loved by students.

Classes have prayed together, laughed together, cried, stressed and counted down the days to Christmas and Summer vacations. We celebrate birthdays, driver permits, licenses and college acceptance letters. I have experienced more kindness and support at Fresno Christian High School than any other school I have ever taught at. — Andrea Donaghe

I have had students go to jail and Yale. 

I wrote to both of them. 

I have supported students joining the military, becoming foreign exchange students, becoming missionaries and “coming out” to friends. 

I am an English teacher…I have had students throw books, hate endings and keep reading a particular author they loved. I encourage writing and see potential in everyone. “To Be Or Not To Be” finally makes sense senior year. 

[/media-credit] Yearbook staffs celebrates Andrea Donaghe’s birthday with neapolitan cake, chocolate milk, and gift cards, Jan. 20.

Classes have prayed together, laughed together, cried, stressed and counted down the days to Christmas and Summer vacations. We celebrate birthdays, driver permits, licenses and college acceptance letters.

I have experienced more kindness and support at Fresno Christian High School than any other school I have ever taught at. 

I love this school and it allows me to love my job, even on the days when the entire AP Lit class is exhausted because of a late basketball game, Natalya argues with Pancho Villa, Logan sits where he shouldn’t, Max won’t stop taking, Tyler walks in late and Jenna is driving me crazy asking for bottled water. 

176 days aren’t so bad, they are a blessing.

For more columns, read COLUMN: Traditional Punjabi wedding showcases culture, family or COLUMN: Erin Wilson discusses leadership roles.

This author can be reached via email.