BREAKING: CSF banquet to honor seniors, May 15

The annual Senior Banquet recognizes students who have spent over four semesters in CSF.

Since 1921 when Principal Charles Seymour proposed and established the California Scholarship Federation (CSF), the organization has grown to include over 1,500 chapters all across California. The organization awards $120,000 in scholarships annually to members as well as offers conferences and other benefits. The CSF senior banquet will be held in the SMC Cafe from 6:30-8:30 p.m., May 15.

[/media-credit] The annual Senior Banquet recognizes students who have spent over four semesters in CSF, May 15.

Andrea Donaghe, campus English teacher and the CSF advisor for the last two years, understands the impact CSF has on students in and out of high school.

“CSF is one of the oldest and most established clubs in the state of California,” Donaghe said. “The California Scholarship Federation allows students to aim for a higher GPA it also has scholarships and awards involved. It benefits students that have high grades for things that require qualifications like scholarships and colleges, whether it is a junior college or a UC or state college when the students are applying they look at whether they were in CSF for a semester or throughout the entire high school career. And it’s just a feather in their cap for good grades and dedication.”

Currently, Donaghe is preparing for the upcoming senior banquet which honors seniors who are life members or highest honors members. Recognized seniors will receive a certificate as well as an additional tassel, gold cords and a pin for graduation.

“The senior banquet is to recognize the seniors that have four semesters or more of high school CSF applications and grades under their belt,” Donaghe said. “It recognizes them for the fact that they have been either a life member for four semesters or highest honors members for six semesters.”

CSF president Joey Huang, ’18, will be recognized as a highest honors member at the banquet along with 12 other members. Huang comments on the value that students get from CSF.

“I think CSF is important because it’s a great platform for students to participate in some community services which students probably don’t have the time for,” Huang said, “and it’s a good organization that brings people together.”

Donaghe also sees CSF as an added bonus for those already receiving high grades and that are aiming for college.

“I think that they (colleges) see a students part of CSF as the students took the time to fill out the form and to go to the meetings to volunteer for certain things and it shows that it was beyond just going home and studying, which is a good thing too,” Donaghe said. “But what I like about CSF is that it is an academic that shows the different facets of students and that they were willing to volunteer here and tutor here. It shows to an extent, sacrifices and a well-roundedness of the individual.”

[/media-credit] Along with other activities Donaghe offers numerous college trips for students to visit schools in California.

Being part of CSF also requires 10 hours of community service which Donaghe tries to help students fulfill throughout the year.

“We have been involved in a lot this year from what I can remember we got involved in the Luis Palau conference at the Save Mart Center my students were able to volunteer for that,” Donaghe said. “I allowed them to volunteer at the animal shelter in Clovis, I allowed them to sign up for additional hours at the community food bank prior to serve day and we also served there on serve day and a lot of students were there which made me proud.”

Although the school year is coming to an end, CSF usually has meetings every other Thursday in room 601. The senior banquet will be held in the SMC Cafe from 6:30-8:30 p.m., May 15.

For more articles, read: Blake Deffenbacher shows potential playing golf, or LETTER: Andrea Donaghe shres passion, reason for teaching.

Vijay Stephen can be reached via Twitter and email.