BREAKING: Volleyball anticipates new season

Coach incorporates summer practices to prepare for games 

The new school year brings new students, new memories, and new sports teams, particularly girls volleyball. The 2018-’19 FCS girls volleyball is coming off a winning season 8-2 placing them second in league standings. The team looks to this season as a challenge to bounce back from losing seniors including one of their captains, McKensy Neal, ’18.

Head coach Kit Maddox trained his players over the summer with weekly practices and games. This is Maddox’s second year coaching the varsity team and. He looks forward to this season to see the girls grow as a team on and off the court. 

[/media-credit] The team lost libero, Celeste Counts, ’18 after she graduated last year.

“This year we have a lot of amazing returning players,” Maddox said. “Our starting lineup has four, five of the same starting lineup last year. This year really is gonna be focused on building off of what we created last year. A challenge that presents itself this year is that last year we had an amazing team last year and we had some firepower revolved around a senior and sadly she is not with us anymore.

“The expectations for this year are to number one grow,” Maddox continued. “How are we going to grow this year? Where are we starting at and how are we going to grow from there. I would love to see some growth from the girls not just in their volleyball game but also just in their personal walk with the Lord. And even in a community and a group that the girls grow closer together and that they’re able to do life together.”  

Kamryn Schultz, ’19, is a returns to lead the team as captain again. This year she strives to be an example for her teammates and to give her best effort in every game. She looks forward to the fun memories during her last season. 

“I am most looking forward to connecting with the new girls as well as the girls I’ve known since I started playing,” Schultz said. “I am so excited to not only influence them to be better players, but also to lead them towards Christ through the sport. I am setter, and being the setter requires a lot of responsibility and leadership. You have to know where to put the ball and what works best for each player. As captain and setter, I plan on leading them to playoffs (hopefully) by encouraging them in every way possible and showing them how to lead people themselves.

“Even though I have been setting for all four years of high school, I still have some things to learn,” Schultz continued. “I sometimes get down on myself during games when I don’t make a perfect set or lose a point for the team. I need to remember to shake it off and keep playing. I also need to be a good example for my teammates as the season goes on so they know what to do when it comes to game time. I’m so excited for this season and I can’t wait to see what God has in store for me and my girls!”

Come out and support your lady eagles as they compete. Home games will be held in the FCS gym. Non-league matches begin this Thursday, Aug. 16 and league matches start Sept. 4 at home versus the Alpaugh Buffaloes.

To view the team’s schedule, rosters, and more information go to Max Preps.

This writer can be reached via email

For more on the campus volleyball team, read PROMO: Eagles volleyball hosts first D-V playoff game

For more articles, read Reflecting on the 2017-’18 school year